Brake Pedal / Transmission Shift Interlock??

Today I was parked with the engine running and the transmission in Park. When I tried to drive off the transmission could not be shifted out of Park. I shut off the engine for about 20seconds, restarted it and was able to select Drive with no problems. I noted though that if I put the truck back into Park it would stick there. Shutting the engine down, waiting 20 seconds or so, restarting and everything was OK. This pattern continues!!!

Could this be something to do with a faulty switch on the brake pedal / tramsmission shift interlock. I looked at my Haynes manual but could find nothing on this problem or the brake /transmission interlock mechanism. Anyone Here have any clues!!

Thanks in advance, Doug

Reply to
Doug

Year, make and model would be GREAT information......................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Sorry, Its a 97 Suburban 1500 Thanks for your help

Reply to
Doug

in general (not year, model specific) it's usually brake switch or linkage adjustment..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

. . all Hondas do that....it's covered under warranty.

what....??? it's not a Honda??

well kiss my grits!!!

How did i come up with that you reckon??

~:~ MarshMonster

==== ==== snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Doug)

Today I was parked with the engine running and the transmission in Park. When I tried to drive off the transmission could not be shifted out of Park. I shut off the engine for about 20seconds, restarted it and was able to select Drive with no problems. I noted though that if I put the truck back into Park it would stick there. Shutting the engine down, waiting 20 seconds or so, restarting and everything was OK. This pattern continues!!! Could this be something to do with a faulty switch on the brake pedal / tramsmission shift interlock. I looked at my Haynes manual but could find nothing on this problem or the brake /transmission interlock mechanism. Anyone Here have any clues!! Thanks in advance, Doug

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Doug,

I have a 97 Tahoe, had the same problem, it was the brake switch on the brake pedal, make sure it has not moved, mine did and was giving me a fit, I disconnected the metal bar that locks the transmission out until I figured it our.

It is about a 10 min fix once you locate the switch.

Steve

Reply to
S.C

I see Marshy had some shroom juice:

and his head in his ass again?

LOL

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Oct 5, 2004, 1:28am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@nevermind.net (Refinish=A0King)

I see Marshy had some shroom juice:

and his head in his ass again?

LOL

Refinish King =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

ok...ok..... that'll be enough of that.... :)

I will now use my superior intellect and and finely honed diagnostic skills to approach the OPs symptom in a manner more befitting what has become to be the norm for diagnostics when dealing with panic stricken OPs and their vehical troubles in this NG which has become known throughout hyperspace as the leading arena for superior knowledge in the field of Automotive Diagnostics and Repair. (how's that for a run-on sentence)

now to the OPs symptom.......

Dear OP Dude, aka Doug,

the following steps will insure that your vehical, regardless of make,model,year, or country of origin......is repaired as proficiently as possible, which should cover the gammet of time frame and reliability of diagnosis. (now that we know we ain't dealing with a 78 model vehical)

Step 1

Carry the truck somewhere and have a scanner put on it so the tech can watch the computer data. It will only take about 5 minutes to tell if the brake switch is working or not or if the indicator switch on the side of the tranny is working or not.

or.......... we can GUESS........if'n you want.

SWAG 1: brake switch

SWAG 2: relay

SWAG 3: PRNDL Switch

SWAG 4: Quit parking on hills

SWAG 5: Computer

(more for the OP)

you should know.... i would dearly like to apologize for my initial response to your post.

you should know.... i tried to list my guess's in the order of most probable cause.

you should know..... that as of Sept. 9th, i now officially have over 29 years in hands on automotive repair. (cept for the 3 months that i did tree work when i wuz 17 cuz my dad fired me when he learned i thunked i wuz a monkey....but that's a whole thread in itself)

you should know.... that every single answer to your problem that you recieve in this (or any other) NG, is simply a guess.

you should know.... that i can guess as good as anyone.

you should know..... that my first reply to your post....was dead on accurate.....as far as guess's go.

you should know.... that i posted my reply before your post with the vehical info appeared on my screen, or else i would have posted a different guess. though it would still have been only a guess.

you should know.... that customers like yerself, that forget to mention impotent facts about the vehical, are often times as not the ones that tend to have the most prominent complaints about the type of service they recieved during a "real world" shop repair.

you should know..... that this NG is your best chance in life of initiating a repair on your own without having to invest in Chilton or Haynes manuals...... and the info is jest as accurate..... (rotflmao..i make me laugh)

you should know....... we care.....but...... we're all drunks, some of us do drugs, some of us have close ties with unsavory characters, some of us are only 12, some of us may poke fun at you, some of us post bad info (but not to worry..another of us will quickly point that out in the thread), some of us want to date yer wife, there's a possibility that KJ wants to date yer brother, and.....we all think we can fix yer truck rite duh first time and are willing to spend all yer money to prove it.

hopefully yer concern, and those of KING were addressed.

~:~ marsh ~this is a guess, only a guess, in case of a real repair, contact a shop~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

ROFLMFAO!!!

Thanks, that really brightened my day...

[...]

Dirty White Boy

Mine weren't addressed!

Where's my Shroom Juice?

Refinish King!

[...]