Brake Warning Light

94 Z-71 ext. cab. does not have abs. a few month earlier light would flicker on rough roads,over r.r. tracks, etc. Has gotten to the point now flickers all the time , sometimes when i stop at a light, if it is
doing it bad enough it will cause the motor to cut out and sometimes die, would appreciate any help. I know nothing about electronics. Thank you
Have you checked the brake fluid level in the master cylinder?

Thanks. That was the first thing i did, also when the light comes on the cruise control will not work
Because cruise control stops working, it may be the vehicle speed sensor. Do you notice the speedometer fluctuating at all? Sorry, I don't know where it is on that truck though it's probably on the transmission or differential housing. When you find it, you may look for damaged wiring or a poor ground or even run a temporary ground wire from the transmission to the frame or engine. If other items in the instrument cluster are acting up it may be a bad ground in the cluster. I don't see how a fault in the brake system would cause the engine to quit, you may have two different, but related (or not related) problems.
I'm just guessing, hopefully someone else will have real knowledge about your problem.

Thanks Ed,that gives me something to look for, I will see if I can find anything.
One other thing. My '99 Ram had a similar problem (though the engine didn't die). I had knocked the brake light switch (mounted to the break pedal bracket). It was an install and set part and if ever removed it needed to be replaced. I wonder if Chevys are similar.

It has a new brake light switch. We were talking about it at work yesterday, and somehow when that brake light comes on, its telling the cruise control that the brakes have been applied. Now if I can figure out why. thanks