Brakes

Hey gang,

As you can tell by my email, I'm no mechanic but I have a question.

I have a 97 S-10 Blazer 4X4 that need brake pads in the front. The question is, do I need to worry about anything while swapping out the pads? Does the anti-lock brake sys cause any problems. My other blazer (89), I just pushed the piston out slapped in new pads and put the calipers back on.

What do I need the remove the caliper on the 97', a hex or a special tool? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks Gents, John Q Public

Reply to
John Q Public

John,

Just the same deal as your 89'. New pads won't affect the ABS in any way. IIRC you will need a hex bit to get the calipers off.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

What Doc said...plus, the hex key is 3/8". I would advise that you apply the same type of silicone lubricant that you will use on the slider pins to the rear surfaces of the brake pads. Only apply the lubricant to the areas on the rear of the brake pads that will contact the piston (inner pad) and the caliper (outer pad). This will go a long way to reducing any kind of brake squeal that you often encounter with disc brakes.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian and Doc, thanks for the tips. I'm sure this will help it go better.

JQP

Reply to
John Q Public

Hi John Q, About all you may have left out of this maintainence is possibly needing your Rotors cut?

If you noticed any pedal/rotor pulsation previously when applying brakes, it might be wise to have them turned, and re-trued. Some small shops-Parts Stores will do this for a meager cost.

It also may be wise too, to first revove an ounce, or so of Brake Fluid from the Master Cylinder Resovoir if it is full to the top, as when you push the pistons back into the caliper bores, in effect, this excess fluid won't have anywhere to go.

When done, top off if necessary.

Don't get any Fluid on any paint!, and also don't revove too much fluid from the resovoir.

Any introduction of air in the system can play havoc with the Anti-Lock Brake System. Hope this helps, Mark

Reply to
Mark D

Reply to
Rolf