Breaking A/C Serpentine Belt

'99 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3 A/C serpentine belt broke at 25K and replacement Gates belt broke 10K later. All parts connected to belt turn freely and without noise.
All components appear to be in alignment and there are not sharp places. Belts appear to have been ripped apart and original joint seam is intact. Anyone else having this problem. Any ideas how to prevent this would be appreciated. These belts are expensive.

Belt tensioner perhaps.
Doc
Autumn wrote:

I don't know if that year of vehicle is affected, but we've had a number of the new style trucks with compressor problems. It ends up destroying the tensioner and sometimes throwing/breaking the A/C belt. The fix is to replace the compressor with an updated one. I looked at your year of vehicle to see if there were any bulletins relating to this problem, didn't see any at the moment.
Ian