Breaking in a new truck

I realize that the break-in period isn't like it used to be. But in my last four new ones I would do the first oil change at about 3000 with regular oil and then at 5000 and every 5k after that with Mobile 1. In a recent post about oil & filter it was recommended that the transfer case oil and the differential oil be changed to synthitic as well. And something about not needing to worry about it for 100k. Is this the preffered way. This is my first 4x4.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Anderson

I never wait that long on engine oil. I always change mine at 1000 miles,and it`s always dirty as hell,but that is from the lube durning break-in.I then change it at 3000 from then on.Oil looks much better. That`s just how I`ve always done it. P.S. Non Synthetic

Reply to
Bill

Hi Jim, As the first person who replied to your post stated. I would change engine oil a bit sooner than 3K miles. About 1000 to 1200 mi would be preferable. The engine's rings will be fully seated by then, so it shouldn't make a bit of difference at that point should you choose to go full synthetic.

I understand many new 4x4's have been coming with synthetic lubes in the differentials, but by no means would, or could you hurt anything, by doing a changeout to a good known available brand like Mobil 1 gear Lube.

I'd do something like this at say about 2000 mi. Easiest way without ripping off differential covers, would be to just buy, and use a suction gun, with an 18-20" length of hose, and a oil pan.

Drive the truck for about 5-10 miles to get things stirred up/warmed up, and then suck as much fluid as you can from the differentials, and refill with fresh. Figure almost roughly 2 qts per Axle. The Transfer Case should have a drain, and fill plug onboard. Many of these now use ATF, instead of gear lube. Synthetic ATF's are available. Hope this helps, Mark

Reply to
Mark D

That's great advise. I'll check through my owner's manual to see what's in there. I've only four whell drive engage for about 300ft just to see if it worked. As you and the previous man said about changing the break-in oil sooner, I got a call from the factory to see how I liked the truck, I guees there aren't many of them out there, and to ask if I had any questions about it. I asked him about the break-in oil and he said the same thing. When I asked him about regular oil changes he recommended that I wait until the oil light comes on. Not too sure about that advise.

Thanks

Reply to
Jim Anderson

Hi Jim, No doubt, your truck must have a oil change reminder, in that an idiot light comes on at the pre-determined mileage? Then, when you change oil, you reset this feature, and again, it will light when a pre-determined number of miles passes on the odometer.

I believe knowing that you do indeed have full synthetic lube in at least your rear axle will be a plus. Especially for towing, heavy duty use, and using your vehicle in temperature extremes. I've heard many standard gear oil lubes offer little protection for the first few miles when the temps plummet well below zero.

This no doubt is what the factory recommends. Im sure, you'd have the ability to change your oil sooner if you wish.

Keeping a log book/note book of what services you do to your vehicle is always a good idea (I do). Not only for oil changes, but when other services are performed, like coolant/fluid changes, belts, hoses, plugs, etc., and any mods, or upgrades you may perform.

You made no mentiom what brand, or model this truck is? May I ask? Wish you best of luck with your new purchase, Mark

Reply to
Mark D

The oil change monitor (GM) does not illuminate after a predetermined number of miles has been driven. The computer determines when the oil should be changed by monitoring operating temps, rpm's, start/stop cycles and various other factors. Actual mileage has little to do with it. H

Reply to
Hairy

i change my oil every 3000 miles no matter what. talked to the service writer and she had NEVER done me wrong, she said dont go by the reminder light for changing the oil. my first oil change was right about 2900 miles and the oil life meter said i had about 38 % life.

Reply to
Charles H.

I got a 2005 GMC Sierra SLT Quadrasteer 4x4 with lots of extras. Leather, XM radio, On-Star, bunch of buttons on the steering wheel. It's a 1/2 ton extended cab short bed. Not the Denali it's a real 4x4 not the All-Wheel drive but it has about everything the Denali has.

Awsome truck

Reply to
Jim Anderson