Broken Parking Brake Release Cable!?

'97 K2500HD 6.5TD NV4500 232,483km So just before christmas, my parking brake release handle breaks...ok...I think, 144k mi, no problem...$9 to replace...(one of the
two plastic fingers that hold in broke) I go to pull my parking brake release today...nothing...the 5" cable that goes between the handle and the metal release lever on the park brake pedal is broke!! And it's not the little crimped on ball thing at the end of it either, the actual cable broke in half...what's up with that...just wierd..... Dealer want's $35 for that part...look's like I'll be making my own cable from the hardware store...

Evidently I'm a tad impetuous when releasing my parking brake, as I go through several of the things per vehicle. I harvest them while passing through our local U-Wrench-It yard, at a couple of bucks a piece. At the rate I destroy them I don't think I'll have any left over when the last Blazer croaks.
Take a look in the HELP parts area at your local parts place. They have that assembly for 12-15 bucks, and it has better cable than factory stuff.
--
Steve W.