'Burb Towing Hitch Rusting Out

I got the "towing package" on my '98 K1500.
It's rusting out *really* badly along all the welds.
A few more points for GM quality, I guess.

Anyhow.... what I'm thinking is wire brush the areas thoroughly and paint on a couple coats of rust converter.
Any ins and outs to this? I'm thinking maybe something to deal with propagation of rust into the welds where cracks form.
--
PeteCresswell

See if you can a body shop that does resto's and they usually use a very effective product called POR 15 for this repair.

-