Burning insullation smell in 4 wheel drive

I went to the store about 10 minutes away last night in 4wd and when I got there there I got out of the truck (1988 chevy 305 4X4) and I smelled this burning wire insullation smell. I lifted the hood and couldn't smell it much. It was mostly outside the driver side door, and a little in the cab. I drove it home about 30 mins. later. I used 4wd as little as possible on the way home and smelled it only a little when I got home.

Was this possibly the actuator? I read the thread about 4wd not engaging and although I didn't blow a fuse, I'm thinking this could be it. Any other ideas?

This is my first 4wd and I have questions about how to drive, when to shift, running on pavement. I'll post that q separtely.

Thanks! Dan

Reply to
Dan

it's entirely possible as the wiring runs down the driver's side frame rail. if your 88 is like mine, you don't even have a 4wd fuse..... however my dad's 2wd '90 C2500 has one! go figure.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I don't think that an '88 has any kind of actuator... I'd check the wiring harness in your door jamb/heading to your T-case. It's probably just a short. Does the light on the floor & on the dash work?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

KJ,

the 88 is the first of the IFS trucks, it does indeed have an actuator ( unless it's a burb or blazer, but I'm assuming a C/K)

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Oh I guess I was just hoping it was a K5.... I could have sworn it was.....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ