Buying a family car: question on gas mileage

I have an 85 Mercedes sedan right now. I like the diesel engine which gets about 27 mpg highway. I am sold on diesel, wouldn't even consider a conventional gas -powered vehicle. I am researching larger family-sized
vehicles (used). Is there such a thing as a diesel truck (would have to be extended cab) or a van that gets similar gas mileage, or does having ANY large family vehicle mean poor gas mileage?
Well whats your meaning of bad gas milage? I have a 96 tahoe that according to me gets great gas milage for how big it is. I average about 18 mpg. Some of the suburbans came in diesel. I am not sure what year they put diesels in them but there are a couple out there.

nope, you will not find a diesel or gas truck that gets 27 MPG. the laws of physics simply are working against you. if a vehicle weighs more, it simply takes more energy to move it, and more energy used equals more fuel used. a full size SUV getting 22 MPG would pound for pound be getting better mileage than your mercedes.
something to think about, Bret

RE/

Mercedes Sprinter vans (available at Freightliner and Dodge dealerships) supposedly get milage in the low twenties. ----------------------- PeteCresswell