Buying a family car: question on gas mileage

I have an 85 Mercedes sedan right now. I like the diesel engine which gets about 27 mpg highway. I am sold on diesel, wouldn't even consider a conventional gas -powered vehicle. I am researching larger family-sized vehicles (used). Is there such a thing as a diesel truck (would have to be extended cab) or a van that gets similar gas mileage, or does having ANY large family vehicle mean poor gas mileage?

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

sidewinder

nope, you will not find a diesel or gas truck that gets 27 MPG. the laws of physics simply are working against you. if a vehicle weighs more, it simply takes more energy to move it, and more energy used equals more fuel used. a full size SUV getting 22 MPG would pound for pound be getting better mileage than your mercedes.

something to think about, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

RE/

Mercedes Sprinter vans (available at Freightliner and Dodge dealerships) supposedly get milage in the low twenties.

----------------------- PeteCresswell

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)