Buying bigger tires for my Z71

Hey Guys,

I am looking at upgrading the tires on my 1998 GMC Sierra Z71. I presently have 265/75/16 and wanted to know how much it would effect the truck if I put on a 285/75/16.

I have been told it could effect everything from having the speedo read about 3mph out all the way to poor idling from the transmission being sent incorrect signals about the speed the vehicle is going which will screw up the computer system and make it run crappy.

What is your take on this?

Thanks in advance,

Blair

Reply to
Blair Chesterton

I did this exact same swap to a 1994 - the truck was a little sluggish after, especially on the highway through the mountains here in Colorado. The truck had quite a few miles on it, and the transmission ended up going out while on a trip through South Dakota.

The truck will still run fine, your shift points will be a 'little off' but you won't notice for the most part - what you will notice is the loss of power - you won't get off the line like you used to, and towing will be more difficult. If you love your truck, don't do it. All it does is add stress to the parts, and that's not enough of a tire size jump to really make the truck better in any way. Get an aggresive looking tire in the size you have now and be happy - OR - jump up to a bigger tire yet and change the gear ratio's to match.

Dave

Reply to
dgargan

Reply to
Cheryl and Rob

Thanks for the advice. I think I will stick with the same size tires.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Chesterton