Buzzer near fuel tank?

Howdy! This morning my 1997 Tahoe's battery was dead: dang if I can figure out what light I left on. Anyhow, when I started the vehicle and left it running I heard (and hear) a buzzer near the
fuel tank. Does anyone know what that buzzer is for? If so, perhaps you would be kind enough to share that information with me.
It seems like a very odd place to put a buzzer.
--
http://desertphile.org

I suspect that the buzzer you are hearing is actually the fuel pump. Regards, JR

Ah, thank you: you're brilliant! I will look and see where the fuel pump is located. Thank you.
--
http://desertphile.org

There are several mentions on the 'net about the fuel pumps in the Tahoes making the same noise, in the same location, my Tahoe does: it appears you are correct, and that you're a diagostician genius.
Now I gotta remove the fuel tank......
--
http://desertphile.org
Desertphile wrote:

WHY? The pump you install will make the same noise. It's normal.
--
Steve W.

I agree with Steve W. He's the diagnostician, I just relate experiences. Regards, JR

We have a '99 GMC at work. After about 5 years the pump started to get noisy. It died about 15 months later.
Hairy wrote:

99% of the electric pumps I have been around make a whine or worse when they are new. I have heard some new on the lot trucks that sounded like the pump was grinding rocks! Some go for years and some die in a year. About the only way to really test them is to use a scope and observe the waveform off the motor as it runs and see what the current draw is. Of course the catch to that is that like every other mass produced item they vary from unit to unit.
OR you could drop in a new high quality pump every couple years and upgrade the wiring harness so it doesn't cause problems If you REALLY want an upgrade get some gold plated connectors and use them so they don't corrode. In a mission critical vehicle (fire/rescue type situation) I have been known to pull the tank, weld in a second pump flange and run a second pump with a selector switch. Just did a Ford tank thursday that will be going under a rescue unit.
--
Steve W.

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 03:34:02 -0500, "Steve W."

That's NORMAL? But I just paid 90 dollars for a new one.....
--
http://desertphile.org
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:41:34 -0700, Desertphile

The audio system was left in "Demo Play" mode, which the owner's manual told me will drain the battery. Ooops! I should not have hit the reset button last night without knowing what I was doing.
--
http://desertphile.org