C&K OEM Trans Cooler

Just thought I would post a GM part number for those interested

GM # 15968872

which is an Aux trans fluid cooler...comes with cooler, two brackets, clamps, hoses, botls, clips... everything but the pipe cutter and flare tool.

@ gm parts direct about $80 which is more than BM or TCI cooler. This has all the parts to install, except for the mentioned tools.

Just wanted to list in case someone was looking.

On the "destructions" it says for C & K trucks and I think the part number points back to the full size SUV of the 92 year era...

It looks to me like the same thing that comes on the z71 pickups and other GM 4*4's

So anyway check out that GM number....do some research to make sure it will fit your machine.

I'm just posting the info....don't know if this works any better or worse than an aftermarket unit. I do like the way it mounts though.

I can scan the instructions if anyone wants?

Elbert

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

I'm currently looking into putting a cooler on my 89 pickup for towing... it'd be great if you could scan those instructions as i haven't completely made up my mind yet on which one to get.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
89GMC

No need to go overboard in size as if it is too big, cold weather performance will suffer. They are pretty generic in design and installation with only size differing. Make sure you route it thru radiator tank cooler first then aux cooler. On a GM cross flow radiator, the top line from tank cooler is the one that you want to route to aux cooler and then from cooler back to tranny. The top line is the tranny return line.

Reply to
SnoMan

Thanks snoman, just saved me having to pull em off and see which one squirts :)

Reply to
89GMC

Reply to
David Johnson

I'll run them through the scanner at work tomorrow .... get some PDFs some decent pictures....not too many words. It may scan decent. I'll post them to the group...but I'll warn you it may take me a couple of trys... I've not posted attachments to the newsgroup very often.

7 pages of lare pictures and few words. The actual cooler looks to me just like the OEM one that comes on 2500 and 1500's with the towing packages.

according to the instructions

you cut the top cooler hard line on the 700R4 and 4L60E you cut the bottom cooler hard line on the 4l8oE and turbo 400

instructions also illustrate that the cooler is setup "in-line" with the factory OEM radiator tank mounted trans cooler.

Elbert

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

========== ========== DJ, you're wrong. As it pertains to the vehical in the OP....... a "cold tranny" will delay lock-up.

NOT....cause premature lock-up. And...the "thick lubricant" scenario isn't gonna do it either.

You stated yer tranny was having premature lock-up with the bigger cooler. While leading us to believe it was because of overcooling.

Next you say you went to a smaller cooler, relocated under the vehical, out of the main air stream.....and now it works like a dream. Here, you've led us to believe it's because the tranny is getting warmer.. faster. (which is likely true)

How then.....can you explain the fact that lock up will not come on untill the engine reaches "operating" temperature. (HOT) And.....on newer Goodwrench vehicals.....lockup will not come on untill the tranny itself reaches "operating" temperature. (HOT) But.....your above experience.....negates this fact.

sorry...

Fact, not fiction.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Reply to
David Johnson

I've attached a scanned copy of the instructions that came with the GM trans cooler "kit".