carb trouble again

I put a kit through the Rochester Q-Jet from my 84 350 auto last week and now have many troubles. The exhaust sounds like it's a bubble pipe, gurgling
and the occasional small sounding back fire. The engine starts easy enough but smokes a bit until it warms up. The power appears to be lacking in the top range. I followed the kit instructions, more then once, but still the same.
Any one got any ideas before I take it in for a $95 exchange carb?
Wiz.
Spend tje money
I will today,
I spent another few hours pulling it apart and readjusting all I could, same problem.
Wiz.

Did you get they Haynes manual for quadrajets yet? There have been people who got them to make decent power, edelbrock makes a nice replacement as well. There is a subsidiary of edelbrock that has the same carbs without the name so they are cheaper too... don't know it though.
~KJ~