Changing the Dexcool?

Just glancing at other people's posts, it sounds like I should do a precautionary change-out of my coolant. The truck's a '97 Silverado 4x4 and I've never changed the coolant but have added to it. That's going on 7
years and it sounds like changing it every 5 is better. The truck has 75k on it.
Is flushing necessary?? Or do I just run the motor to open the thermostat, shut it down, and drain it ...followed by filling at the radiator and reservoir again (etc). I assume the radiator has a wing-nut type drain on the bottom, right?
Thanks, Brian

and
thermostat,
Seeing as how your Dex has been in there for about 3 years too long I'd recommend draining the rad plus yanking both block drains to get it all out, then refill with new Dex. Use DISTILLED water and install a new rad cap.
Doc

Yanking both block drains? Are these screw-in or pressed in like freeze plugs? Where are they?
Thanks a mil, Brian
.

75k
on
out,

Yes, it's the only way to get -all- of the old coolant out of the block.

Screw in.

Same place they've been for the last 49 years. Low on the sides of the block. One -might- be the knock sensor.
Thanks, Buddy. A Chevy's the only type of motor I can think of that I've never worked on much. Of course, the reasons are obvious, right? LOL. I like the one about Fords being cheaper to maintain because there are spare parts all over the road...
--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My 22' Tolman Skiff project

.
"Neil Nelson" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

If you go looking for them, you'll find them considering that there isn't a whole lot of variation in block drains between GM, Ford and Chrysler V-engines.

All the two Fords I owned ever did was shed body parts, and considering that they fell off because of rust, they weren't of much use. That's why I own a Dodge.
Neil Nelson wrote:

From bad to worse...
Stephen Young wrote:

Not really.
Ian
My boss owns a 1995 1500 ram... my father's 1995 caravan is rotting worse. His truck looks brand gnu....
~KJ/TLGM
wrote:

I've
spare