Charging an air conditioning system?

I have a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 4.3 V-6 engine. It needs the air conditioning system to be charged. It takes the new type of fluid I think its the 134 type. Any way with the ease of the kits on how the hose attaches to the can
I thought I could do it. The Chilton book doesn't say anything about charging the system. Once I have the can and hose attached where do I attach the other end to the car to start charging. Is there a picture somewhere so I would know exactly where it is? Thank you Ryan snipped-for-privacy@c-zone.net

Ryan,
Without the proper equipment (vacuum pump, high+low side gauges, etc.) you'll severely damage the system. It needs a charge because it has a leak. Take it to an A/C shop and have them find the leak, fix the leak and charge the system. It'll cost you more to replace A/C parts after you under or overcharge it than it will to have it properly serviced. A/C is NOT for the inexperienced. When you start calling R-134a refrigerant "fluid," it's an indication you need to have someone do it for you. I'm not trying to flame, just trying to save you some $$$ in the long run.
Doc
I agree with Doc. The R134 is not as forgiving as the r12. If the system calls for needing 4 oz., then you need to add EXACTLY 4 oz. Too much and it's warm, too little and it's warm.
some say the 134 isn't as cold as the r12, but I disagree. Most of the time, it's because they tried to charge the system themselves and got too much or too little. I just had mine charged at a local shop and it's right on the money. It will freeze you out! The majority of the time, I have the heater/cooler knob at about half way to be comfortable (my wife still wears a jacket).
Snowman

You call an AC shop, Make an appointment. Let them diagnosis your problem. Have them do the work, Pay them.
You could have a bad Clutch cycling switch and be done in 5 minutes and for $20 You could have a shelled compressor and will need to fork over some real $$$.
Just "tossing cans of freon" in it because you can buy them at the most despicable place on earth walmart isn't any reason to do it or even think that is what needs done.
: : :