Charging system problem

This one seems a bit odd to me. I have a 92 K1500 silverado with a replced Goodwrench 350 TBI engine. The battery gauge dropped to the red zone and the baterry idiot light came on. So my first step was to
take the battery back to Auto Zone to be tested. In a happy turn of events the battery was actually bad. However, when replaced, the gauge did not immediately return to the normal ~14 volts, but after a few minutes it did and the drive home was uneventful. I'm thinking I got off without a problem in the charging system. This morning the gauge is back in the red, and the idiot light is back on. I don't no much about such things. I tried to tighten everything up. Is there something else I should look for? Is their some sort of sensor that could be bad? This is the original alternator and voltage regulator. I'm not real flush at the moment, and need the thing to get to work. I do have a trickle charger. Can I keep a charge on the battery and gather another paycheck before dealing with it?
Thanks for imput Rick
Almost sound as if you have a short or left something on. Shorts are difficult to track down because it could be anywhere in the miles of wiring on the vehicle. As long as the battery keeps a charge while running, it's not your voltage regulator or alternator.
Ken
Rick wrote:

Rick,
Your voltage regulator is internal <inside the alternator>. You need a new alternator and you will keep killing batteries until you do so.
Doc
Take your altenator to AZ and they will test it for free.

new
Charging system problem Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Oct 24, 2003, 12:17pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.please (Rick) This one seems a bit odd to me. I have a 92 K1500 silverado with a replced Goodwrench 350 TBI engine. The battery gauge dropped to the red zone and the baterry idiot light came on. So my first step was to take the battery back to Auto Zone to be tested. In a happy turn of events the battery was actually bad. However, when replaced, the gauge did not immediately return to the normal ~14 volts, but after a few minutes it did and the drive home was uneventful. I'm thinking I got off without a problem in the charging system. This morning the gauge is back in the red, and the idiot light is back on. I don't no much about such things. I tried to tighten everything up. Is there something else I should look for? Is their some sort of sensor that could be bad? This is the original alternator and voltage regulator. I'm not real flush at the moment, and need the thing to get to work. I do have a trickle charger. Can I keep a charge on the battery and gather another paycheck before dealing with it? Thanks for imput Rick
yep as Doc said sounds like the alt is shot. have you checked your connections to the alternator? If you keep running it like that add another Battery to your list.. Steve C
you need to make sure your alternator is working properly. if you have a multimeter you can do this yourself or drop by a local shop.... very easy to check.
don't bet on the battery lasting very long if the alternator is not working right. You'll get stranded somewhere.

--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil

Thanks for all the responses. The alternator is bad, so I'm going to have to gather the green to put one in. Oh well, I LIKE peanut butter <g>.
Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Oct 25, 2003, 5:17pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.please (Rick)
Thanks for all the responses. The alternator is bad, so I'm going to have to gather the green to put one in.
Oh well, I LIKE peanut butter <g>. ============= peanut butter is all good....... long as you ain't walk'n to the store to get it.
glad to here you solved yer prob.
marshmonster ~:~
around here (St Louis) there is a junkyard that has a 30 day parts replacement policy. 3 (THREE) years ago I had the same problem with my wife's alt. I also had the same problem with money (still do actually) I purchased a used alt from the yard. IT STILL WORKS. when you go to the junkyard, look for an alt. with a AutoZone tag that is still readable. This is not to say that the AutoZone alts are superior, but it means that the alt is relatively new.

I wish I could remember the name but here in NH I just heard a radio add for a junk-yard type deal with a lifetime warranty on their parts. They pull and inspect, then sell. Not inventory a car and what is worth selling on it. I like that idea, might be worth paying the little bit extra handeling charge (this from a guy who doesn't like to let the yard pull it-too much)
-The Lonely Grease Monkey 1985' 305CUI TH700R4 NP203 K5 KJ's successor
"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson