Cheap California OBD II Converters ?

My exhaust converter on a 1997 C1500 is noisy and showing a code 420.
Dealer wants 800 dollars plus tax to repleace with factory item.
Anyone know where I can find a cheaper converter that is still CARB
and EPA legal in CA ?
As close as your local auto parts store.
Brian

Are you sure about that?
They told me that only GM has the part for this truck.
No aftermarket converters available yet .

Right here...all day every day: $244.95...gee, you think a dealer might lie to you?!?!?! http://www.discountconverter.com/converters/gm/chevy_trucks_direct_fit.cfm

I believe the problem he is having is finding one that is Calif. approved from the aftermarket. He did say, "Anyone know where I can find a cheaper converter that is still CARB and EPA legal in CA ?" All the ones listed on the page you provided say "exc. Ca.". Glad I don't live there.

I wish I didnt. :(
You are correct too. I need a converter that meets EPA and CARB rules for 1997 model year truck.
Wont pass Smog test without the correct one unfortunately.
Leave the land of the fruits and nuts!
~KJ/TLGM

I bought a OEM replacement coverter for my '96 K1500 from Napa, cost around $400.. Bolted right up.
Adair
On Mon, 31 May 2004 19:27:52 GMT, "Adair Winter"

1996 is a different converter, but thanks for the reply back.

Hey Dave, do you have over 80K miles on it?? The dealer is required to make the change if it doesn't make it over 10years of 80k miles (as I recall from my endeavors)