check engine light

I have a 96 K1500 last night my check engine light came on, all gauges are reading normal and there is no obvious loss of power, or no weird sounds coming from the truck. This has happened in the past and gone out a few days later but used to come on when at extreme highway speeds, last night I was only doing about 30 mph when it happened. Is there any way to read the code without a code reader. I know on the older ones like a 92 Jimmy I had all you had to do was short out the last two contacts on the upper row of the plug under the dash. Turn the key on and it would flash the codes. Is there any short cut to take or suggestions of what it could be?

Thanks

Reply to
Armand Cook

Nope, code reader or scan tool required.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Just clean the battery terminals and battery cables REAL GOOD and it will probably go away. has on three of our vehicles. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman