check engine light 99 suburban 5.7

I hade a no 4 stuck exhaust valve with a small water leak at the front intake gasket. I pulled the heads, sent out for a valve job, used sealer on the intake manifold to fill in the pitting there. I installed the
distributer,I started the motor, turned the distributer and the motor stalled. I stoped, checked the rotor position with my 2000 van, moved the rotor one tooth clock wise, started the engine and the check engine light stays on. Disconted the battery over night it came on with in 15 seconds. Went to Advance Auto the code said missfire, at Auto Zone they could not read the code it was a gm code. which way should i go? Try to fix it my self, take it to a privite shop, or to a gm shop? thank you!
You need to get it scanned somewhere that can read the code. No one here can help without that info.

-

This is how a dealer is supposed to check it....
You cannot adjust the ignition timing. You may need to adjust the distributor in order to prevent crossfire. To insure proper alignment of the distributor, perform the following:
1. With the ignition OFF, connect the scan tool. 2. Start the engine. Allow the engine to idle until the engine reaches the normal operating temperature. ImportantThe Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1,000 RPM. 3. Increase the engine speed to 1,000 RPM while performing the following steps. 4. Use the scan tool in order to monitor the Cam Retard Offset. 5. If the Cam Retard indicates a value of 0 degrees, the distributor is properly adjusted. 6. If the Cam Retard does not indicate 0 degrees, the distributor must be adjusted.
To fix it do this;
With the engine OFF, slightly loosen the distributor hold down bolt.
Important
The Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1,000 RPM. # Start the engine and raise the engine speed to 1,000 RPM. # Use the scan tool in order to monitor the Cam Retard Offset. # Rotate the distributor as follows:
* To compensate for a negative reading, rotate the distributor in the counterclockwise direction. * To compensate for a positive reading, rotate the distributor in the clockwise direction.
# Repeat step 4 until 0 degrees is obtained. # Turn OFF the ignition. # Tighten distributor ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
What would be a good scan tool to buy to do this task? I would be using on my 99 chevy suburban and 00 GMC g 30 van.
In article

Tech 2