Check Engine Light in 97 Astro

... Well a van is sorta a truck...
To make a long story short, a shady dealer in UTAH disconnected my check engine light to show that he made a repair on the vehicle...
I now live in AZ, everything passes their emissions, and inspection with the exception that the Check Engine light does not visually come on and turn back off.
Well I need to get it back on, but have not pulled the dash apart to see if they removed the bulb, disconnected a wire or what. I want to see if anyone out there knows of easy checks to do before pulling the dashboard, and also if there is an easy way of getting to the dash...
Thanks for the help!
pull easy on the trim around the speedo cluster...it pops off...then get a 7 mm nutdriver to take out the screws on the cluster...the light bulb twists-locks in on the back side...if there is a hole there....it is gone..you can swap out the one that shows the daytime running lights to test, but the light is not easily found at auto parts stores----dealers have them in stock.
wrote:

exception that the Check Engine light does not visually come on and turn back off.

they removed the bulb, disconnected a wire or what. I want to see if anyone out there knows of easy checks to do before pulling the dashboard, and also if there is an easy way of getting to the dash...

Thanks, got it pulled out over the weekend, on my way to the parts store/dealer tonight. Sure enough as I suspected they had just removed the light. Did not test it with the DRL bulb, figured I would just get some new ones, there are a couple of other that are missing lights that should work on the van, Door Ajar, Check Oil and Low Coolant. Guess I will pick up about 4 of them.
Well a van is sorta a truck...<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;To make a long story short, a shady dealer in UTAH disconnected my check engine light to show that he made a repair on the vehicle...<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;I now live in AZ, everything passes their emissions, and inspection with the exception that the Check Engine light does not visually come on and turn back off.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Well I need to get it back on, but have not pulled the dash apart to see if they removed the bulb, disconnected a wire or what.&nbsp; I want to see if anyone out there knows of easy checks to do before pulling the dashboard, and also if there is an easy way of getting to the dash...<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Thanks for the help!<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
jason wrote:

I was wondering about this... My 'brake/ABS' light on the dash is out, and my speedometer drops randomly, I had removed the dash cluster ('90 k1500) to investigate the bulbs and wiring, only to find a large warning sticker about having the cluster serviced by a professional due to the possibility of damaging it by static electricity, so I didn't open it up.
Problems are still present and I was saving up to take it to a dealer for them to check it. Unless the cluster you speak of is entirely different, would I be able to follow the above procedure without damaging the cluster?

take standard static precautions... go to Radio Shack and buy a static wrist strap for about 4 bucks, hook the wire to something grounded, and touch the back cover before you open it up and don't get up until it's closed back up.
-Bret
don't worry much about static...you won't be opening up the cluster...the bulbs twist-lock in through the back side....a wrist strap would be extra protection, but you have to ground it...if you are working at a work bench that is OK...I have worked on them many times and never had a static problem.....and the speedo dropping is most likely in the plug on the trans...gets water in it

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:42:30 -0600, jason

the '88-92 cluster *does* need to be opened up to change the bulbs, which is what *I* was replying to. they take a 5.5mm to open them up and use 194 bulbs, BTW.
-Bret

Bret Chase wrote:

Great advice, I'm gonna tackle this sucker this weekend. The dry, windy conditions in these parts have made me more 'static' prone than any other time of the year, so I'll be sure to be extra careful. Thanks again.