chev motor 4.3 v8 rolls over weird

Bought a motor..suppose to run good., rolls over like it is hot and the timing is out... has a dead spot.. you can turn the engine over til almost top dead center and then you can put a pipe on a ratchet and it won't
budge... bump the starter and it rolls to the exact same spot like if it was 50 below.. I haven't touched the timing.. and it does the same thing with the plugs out.. (just not aas bad). Flywheel is turning fine and is not warped. It is a l99 lt1 based motor. SBC 4.3 v8 (not a six 8 plugs) People are saying valves are sticking due to it sitting a while, others say it is cold out and it sitting can cause it, others say battery and starter are weak.. BUT this shouldn't affect it turning the crank by ratchet. Any input would be great.
even if the timing is out, it should still roll over freely when the plugs are out and no distributor in it right ?

Throwed ROD..
Do u see a Hole in the Block?
chevrolet wrote:

--
It Doesnot Take Brains To
Get A High Paying Job!

chevrolet wrote:

Donnot take it apart.. it is Grounds for them Not to Give u ur money back!
Cud also Be A RUSTED Cylinder WALL ... Water Entered The Engine Via The INTAKE.. ( Hood Was left open on the Vehicle or Engine Not covered up after it was Taken out

--
It Doesnot Take Brains To
Get A High Paying Job!

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:20:04 -0500, "chevrolet"

I'd take the valve covers off and see what the valves are doing when you turn the engine over by hand. If they all move then I'd pull the timing cover off and see if the chain and sprockets are aligned correctly.
Yea let us know the culprit. Sounds like a cylinder that is liquid filled. Like with a leaky head gasket or injector leaking. But you said with the plugs out same problem. Only other thing that I can figure is bent rod. But this motor should have PM rods. They will give a little but will break before they would bend that far. Maybe broke rod hitting bottow of cyl. Do the screwdriver test. Plugs out, turn the motor BY HAND with the screwdriver stuck in each cly. to make sure they are moving. I suppose it could also be a rust ridge in the cyl from sittin. But if you cranked it with the starter and it hit more than likely you would have damaged the rings and it would still turn over. As far as being crazy for trying to install a L99 in a old vehicle youre not. Nothing better than hitting the remote start on your port injected motor on a cold morning. Cranks for 3 sec. and runs. Go back to drinking coffe while the cab warms. Maybe a little crazy for ditching the FI and puttin on a carb. Next time go ahead and buy a gasket kit. Even though a motor is supposed to be fine check it out before you get this far. And even if you pull it apart and it checks out OK you won't be pissin around with leaks.

Have to wait all.... the wreckers is sending the "mechanic" and for me not to touch.. I rolled it over and no air comes out of the drivers side closest to firewall exhaust (manifolds off) all other cyl puff air... Bent rod or valves... I'll post I promise.. Just in case someone has this problem again As for the keeping it fuel.. I pulled all the electric efi crap off.. bought a gm hi performance intake to convert the motor to carb.. cost me $400 after tax and shipping.. oh well.. I'll make a coffee table out of it :)..many people were unaware you can use a distributor in this motor... thanx all who posted. I'll be back soon to repost what it was..

WELL.... the guy from the wreckers came , said "we can fix it" BUT you'll laugh at this.. while it was turning over (engine) rust was spewing out of the exhaust ports as they are off !!!! the guy says.. it can be fixed.. I DON'T WANT IT REPARIED.... give me back my money.. unless you wanna rebuil the engine.. !!! SO whoever posted rust in the cyl walls wins a prize :)