Chev Van rear end assemblys

I have a 2002 Chev Express 2500 with 6-bolt axels and 14 bolt 9.5 rear end. Recently, It came apart. I want to put the complete rear end out of my 1987 Chev 3500 Cargo Van under it. It has a 14 Bolt, 9.5 rear end
with 8 lug axels. The only noticable difference is the shock mount on the 02 are not off set. The 87 is offset. So, I can simply weld the plates on the right way. My question is this. Is this a swap that works well? Has anyone tryed this without any major problems? Also, will the 6 lug axels from the 02 fit in the 87 8-lug axel?