Chevrolet Silverado/Ext.cab truck/pickup.

Hi I am planning to purchase a chevrolet truck, I have been thinking about ext.cab or silverado HD2500 from year 1998 - 2000, the one with 6.5L TD. Is there anything to be alert for, I have heard that these trucks have problems with the dieselpump, anything else ?.

/Lars

Reply to
Lars Pedersen

fuel injection pump - mine replaced 3 times (all under warranty) transmission and engine oil cooler lines corroded check front diff for leaks on 4x4 check emissions (if required in your area)

240,000 km
Reply to
Smelly Belly

Thanks I will add your items to my future maintinencelist. Regarding the fuelpump, someone told me that it is a cuicuitbord inside the pump that can't handle the heat, especially if there is installed some kind of noisereduction cover on the hood, which will add to the heatproblem he told me to check for it and remove it when I get the car. This is on the 4x4.

/Lars

"Smelly Belly" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@golden.net...

Reply to
Lars Pedersen

It is possible to relocate that to a cooler spot so you have no problems.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Actually it was my fuel injector pump, not the fuel pump from the tank. (just confirming) First one was replaced under recall. Rest failed in service.

Unless you have the GM Tech2? computer/tool this is a dealer only install as it needs to be reprogrammed after install. $1200 part plus labor.

Watch out for bad diesel - any water gets in and the pump is poo-pooched. Got a bad tank full in detroit once and almost got towed home.

Got good fuel mileage though at 20mpg. Kinda sorry I now have the 6L gas.

Anybody need a set of GM service manuals? Don't need them now as I am driving a 2001. I sold the truck when the engine warranty expired.

Reply to
Smelly Belly

Got one on hand now, its a 2001 silverado 6,5TD engine. Black with top on bed. Was 2001 a good year for chevrolet trucks? Is it a GM engine ?.

I have noticed that a lot of chevrolet truck with 6,6L duromax owners are selling there truck when they have only run 1000 - 30000km ?, why is that, is there something wrong with this model, anyone know. Is seems strange that someone would sell their car that quick. BTW this is in Norway

Regards Lars Pedersen

"Smelly Belly" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@golden.net...

Reply to
Lars Pedersen

I thought the 6.5TD (GM) was discontinued in '99 and the 6.6TD (Isuzu) came in '00?

2001 was the second year for the new body style. I have heard quite a few complaints on the following:
  • lots of flex in the frame, not as stiff as old style
  • 4sp electronic tranny issues
  • piston slap / oil fuel consumption issues on 6.0L gas

Personally my only complaint is the last one. It sounds like a diesel without any of the benefits.

The rest of it I really like. After 75,000km it's still on its first set of brakes and has plenty of stopping power - much better than my '94. Very comfy inside too.

poo-pooched.

Reply to
Smelly Belly