Chevy blazer won't start

my 1997 chevy blazer will randomly not start, if I wait about 30-40 minutes it wil start fine. Also the security light will randomly come on, after awhile it will go off

Reply to
dhorn66

Do the two things coincide? The vehicle won't start and the security light is on.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

my parents had a 99 chevy s10, they were leasing it and they ran into problems with the security system and their truck failed to start just like your discribing, it had somthing to do with the ignition and security system

Reply to
Adam

ey great news on your chevy blazer easy fix if its the same problem if you vehicle turns over but doesnt start you have a bad Manifold Temp Sensor. The great thing is it's a cheap and easy fix it cost me 19$ to replace i will get the part number for you as well Part Number is WT3036 by Borg Warner got it from my local pep boys

Oh yea my Security light did the same thing

On the flip side if this has been going on for a while you'r fuel pump has indured a lot of stress and may go out sooner than usual.

Best of luck and if you have any more random blazer questions i can help most likely

Reply to
dooleey

I don't think anything you typed would help the OP.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Umm lets see I had the same problem with my blazer that he did the trademark Security light flash was the same, also with my uncles 1999 s10 that wouldn't start I used a code scanner and hmm let's see that showed it after many trials of scanning the code. Hmm I replaced that part and wa la my car starts every time oh yea I also posted it on another forum and had another positive feedback with success. Oh another great thing is that a mechanic told me who works for a Gm Dealerships they replace that part for my code, they first replace the ignition coil then the Manifold Temp Sensor at no cost, actually they don't tell you at all they replace it, but that was the culprit of the problem they just charge you for the ignition coil and installation which is much greater.

Oh this also went on for many years with my blazer, dhorn66 when you go to next start your blazer give it gas it may start if you give it enough. And for all the people i know its fuel injected.

Stevie Mackie i can tell you the answer to your question the 2 things do concide it will flash and then shut off. But it will stay on while you drive and randomely cut on as well while driving. I dont understand why you think my knowledge wont help after lets see 2 years of trial and error I finally corrected the problem on 3 blazers ok 1 s10 and 2 blazer same 4.3 motor.

Reply to
dooleey

Did you put a scanner on the OPs vehicle, no.

I somehow doubt that.

I have no idea what you are try to say here. You have a code, they replaced a part to fix it. Yup, that's what they do, but how does that help the OP. And what is a Manifold Temp Sensor? Are you refering to the Coolant Temperature Sensor?

Besides your english being quite poor, you know it's fuel injected yet you are telling him to 'give it gas' while starting and that will help. LOL.

What's your point. I'm not saying what you did to your vehicle did or didn't fix it, I'm saying that you have no idea what the OPs problem is and you can't sit there and say well if your security light is on and the truck won't start that means you have to replace the same part that I replace on my vehicle, that I don't even know the name of. Also, if I read correctly, you are trying to say the Coolant Temperature Sensor being faulty will cause the security light to flash. That's absurd.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Would you like a cookie for your good deed?

Reply to
Adam

I think that most of dooleey's ideas and suggestions are absurd.

Reply to
Adam

Ok when Dhorn66 fixes his car i hope he will post the results of what fixed it. Then all of you guys will see.

Ok my ideas hmm lets see its an idea 1 solution. The Manifold Temp Sensor which is an extremely easy part to replace, and cheap might i add. Oh heres another ideas for you guys who dont believe take out your manifold temp sensor and you will have a simulated problem that he did but then again you wont start. Might i add my car would start about

30-40 minutes later. Also the problem is not always consistent but it does worsen from time to time

Ok guys my question is whats your answer to his problem change the ignition module which cost alot, then change the ignition coil, well if you know anything about cars the Manifold Temp Sensor ties into all of those parts.

Reply to
dooleey

If I read correctly, you are trying to say the Coolant Temperature Sensor being faulty will cause the security light to flash. That's absurd.

On the Chevy blazer the security system starts to flash after unsuccessful starts thinking that you have inserted the wrong key and not starting has nothing to do with the part except that causes it not to start.

Reply to
dooleey

I see where you are going with this. That's doesn't sound possible. However, how do you know that's what is causing his truck not to start. How do you know his key isn't worn out or the ignition cylinder is worn/damaged?

Telling someone to replace a part on precedent alone is risky business. Diagnose it first, then replace the appropriate part.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Because when the ignition cylinder wears it usually dies completly not allowing it to work furthermore

another way to test for a damaged ignition cylinder is when he starts push his key in much further than usual. and make sure the blazer is fully in park as it may be sensing its in drive is also a possibilty

But with all previous experience with the blazer its usually a bad manifold temp sensor sounds crazy i know he can even check the connection that can help as well thats what he should do first is make sure the connection is good and not crusty

Hey but i have to say with all the people who respound to this forum his car will be fixed

Reply to
dooleey

Wait not the ignition cylinder my bad i was refering to the ignition coil when that dies it dies altogether but what he can do to test for the bad ignition cylinder is put the key in harder and try a spare keys which i did and i thought that was the problem but then again it occured with my spare key

Reply to
dooleey

Wrong, not that it matters in this case.

If the ignition cylinder turns, then there is no problem with the cylinder, putting the key in "harder" will accomplish nothing.

You seem to have a very basic misunderstanding of how; the ignition lock works how the ignition switch works how the passive anti-theft system works various failure modes of ignition coils You also have a misunderstanding WRT the fact that there is no manifold temperature sensor and that it is in no way related to the security light.

For the OP, it's highly probable that you have a failing ignition switch, it is a very common problem on mid-late 90s GM trucks.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

so your telling me that there is no such thing as a manifold temp sensor part number wt3036 which cost 19 dollars at local pep boys which is by borg and warner and that also since there is no manifold temp sensor my 2000 chevy blazer fixed itself by my imagination.

Oh my god i must of given 19 dollars to someone else which in fact they did nothing. I may not have a great understanding of the ignition clyinder but i sure as hell know there is something called a manifold temp sensor and after replacing that part my car starts with no problem

Oh wait my blazer also had the same problem as the OP so i told him what to replace geez guys i never knew that telling someone whats wrong with there car was so bad and that you all get so defensive

Talking about lack of knowledge aarcuda69062 you dont even no that there is such thing as a manifold temp sensor i will post a pic in the forum for you if it allows or i will post it online elsewere

Reply to
dooleey

You have no idea that the OP has the same problem as you until he diagnoses it or replaces the part.

You will have to post a picture because I'm still try to figure out what it is you are talking about.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Ok a manifold temp sensor is the same thing as a temperature sesnor and its code is MAT when diagnosed

The reason this is most likely his problem is that it is misreading and he can start his blazer 30-40 minutes later

I want to help this guy as much as you all do

When my blazer failed I was told it was the security system and the ignition cylinder as well and about 5 other things they said went wrong but I replaced one part after borrowing a code scanner and it took about 15 trials to read a code because the part had to fail in order to read the code I also went to a local dealership and they were able to retrieve zero codes but that was before borrowing the code reader.

Reply to
dooleey

You mean the coolant temperature sensor then? Or maybe you mean MAP sensor and you misinterpreted it as "MAT."

This doesn't sound right, if the part erred at all it would set and store a DTC.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Indeed, where by chance does this "manifold temp sensor" mount? Careful here because I've R&Red many intake manifolds from 4.3 liter engines, and have yet to encounter one.

Or, it's possible that your recollection of the problem is skewed as is your remembrance of the part name, or, it's entirely possible that someone including Borg Warner is calling the part by a name other than what it really is known as. The whole thing is moot since the part that you're erroneously identifying has no control over anything other than spark advance and fuel trim when the engine is in closed loop. IOWs, it can not cause a stall or a no start.

No one is getting defensive except you. If you can't stand being corrected, avoid usenet.

"no"?

Please, post a picture of it in the rubber intake duct ahead of the throttle body, away from the manifold it supposedly measures the temperature of.

Reply to
aarcuda69062