Chevy G20 Van replacment body metal

My '95 G20 Van is showing a lot of rust around the lower extremities.. years of salt up here in Maine.
Has anyone tried some of these replacement pieces that are generally
available? It's a work van, so not a lot of cosmetics are necessary, but I do need to pass our annual inspection in a couple of months, and they don't like sharp edges.
I've heard the new sections can be pop-riveted on....
Thanks for help!
Any good body shop can do what you ask, whether it will pass is another issue. All the rust be cleared away to the point solid metal is exposed. Make sure this type of repair will pass and this will not last long up here the NE as you know.

-

I have found most body shops will not do this work. They just do not want to do anything they can't charge an arm and a leg for....(my opinion) I had several tell me they do not work on old vehicles or rust. (seriously)
You can get the body sections from JC Whitney (off their web page) but I would wait until they have a free shipping sale as some of the pieces are oversized and will cost a fortune to ship. I would keep an eye on your rear spring hangers. They are hard welded to the frame and do rust though. ...no body shop will do this repair either... If you are handy you can get a nice 90amp flux welder and the necessary tools from Harbor Freight for less then $300 and weld in the panels yourself. If you want a mig or tig welder or a plasma cutter these will cost you more but they do have all of these items. I am in the same boat but am currently trying to find somebody who will replace the drivers side spring hanger. I have hit every body shop and welding shop in 40 miles, no go....
good luck, mark
When body shops cherrypick jobs:
They are gambling with their future!
Remember that when you need a repair on one of your newer cars or trucks.
I'm sure that you can find a quality oriented shop, who will accept this job gracefully and happily.
Remember, the big shops didn't get big by being nice!
RK

(seriously)
rear
get
somebody
shop

That is what I thought but haven't found a shop that will replace the spring hanger on my van or the tailgate cross member on the rear of my suburban. I can replace the cross member myself but I just don't have the gutz to re-weld the hanger myself. I hope you are right I hate to junk the van because of a $80 bracket and an hour welding job.
thanks, mark
Search and you will find!
Word of mouth is your best friend, as well as the shop's.
Ask someone you see with a repainted older car, where they had it done.
There is no shame in looking for a good shop, and maybe if you're in Shep's area. Have him do the job.
Good luck and remember, the newer trucks rust faster, in fact. On a silent night, you can hear a Ford rusting away.
RK

trucks.
spring
r_d wrote:

Give a general location and maybe there is someone on here that could point you toward a shop. I can think of at least three in my area that would do the job.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

I am in the lansdale area of pennsylvania. New York is a descent drive so that is a no go but I do appreciate the suggestion and help.
thanks, mark
If you're in Lansdale, Pa.
I can most likely find someone that is reputable and fair.
RK

That's where I am, if you know of someone close by I will give them a try.
thanks for the help, mark
I'll see if I can locate someone in the next few days.
I'm in NEPa.
RK

Cool, I appreciate it.
mark
As of today:
Still no luck. All the people I know either sold their shops or have their family running them.
I'll keep looking. My boss is always buying total losses from that area.
RK

thanks mark
On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:09:07 -0500, "r_d"

Perhaps you should try a spring shop? - Regards Gordie
"The Nolalu Barn Owl" > On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:09:07 -0500, "r_d"

I had though of that also and will do so unfortunately there are not many in the area. Nearest is a good drive away but that is what I plan to do when spring hits.
thanks for the suggestion. mark
Bring it to Professional Auto in Warrensburg NY, we will do what ever you want!

-
Great!
I'm glad there are still some decent tradesmen out there.
RK

exposed.
want
are