chevy/gmc dually

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 21 May 2007 18:17:31 -0600, "Silverado"
Here is a simpler list that just deals with axle ratio codes in link below but then a GT4 is a 3.73, a GT5 is a 4.10 and a HC4 is a 4.56
http://forum.snoman.com/viewtopic.php?t ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
rick505 wrote:

OMG... 6 sentences, 6 lines, 1 punctuation mark, and NO caps.

Oh hell, here we go again.

You can probably buy an '01 Chevy/GMC Duramax Diesel dually for that kind of money. I had an '01 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab Longbed Duramax with the Allison transmission and pulled a 35' 5th wheel with it. I doubt you would hardly know a two horse trailer was back there. You will get better mileage with the diesel than you will with a gasoline engine. I drove my '01 59,000+ miles solo averaging 17.58 miles per gallon and 36,500+ miles towing averaging 9.65 miles per gallon. My 5th wheel weighed about 14,000 pounds and your two horse trailer will weight much less so your towing mileage would be much higher.
Ron

I was wondering with a diesel freak would weigh in. Do not forget to tell her that diesels are not for every one, can stink at times, be a pain in the arse in really cold weather and cost a fortune to fix out of warranty. Least not forget the low sulpher fuels effect on fuel susytem because of reduced lubrication properties of fuel. (GM is really tight lipped on this) Also except for last few weeks, gas has been 50 cents to as much as a buck cheaper a gallon than diesel. I have a freind that bought a new 05 Dmax and it was his first and after the honey moon was over and he did the numbers and fuel costs soared and gotten a few tanks or bad diesel with water in it (from searching for cheapest fuel) and it finaily sunk it that he should have bought the cheaper gas one instead and he would have been money and debit ahead of the game today. He wants to get rid of it but he still owes more that he can get for it. She would be FAR safer and get more value fore her money with a used gas truck than a used 2001 Dmax. BTW, my 89 4x4 burb averages a over 17 MPG trips using A/C and it is 18 years old now with 180K miles and it has NEVER left me stranded or failed to start even at more than 40 below. I remeber a trip I took in 90's across the dakotas in the dead of winter with 3 young children. It started out at 15 below and it was 30 below 400 miles later after crossing states in near blizzard conditons with gusts over 50 MPH at times. It never missed a beat and never stopped for fuel either durring that 400 mile (darn good thing because it was darn cold) and its dual heaters kept us warm too. Same truck still runs today and it can sit for weeks at a time in zero degree weather and start on demand.(try that with a 18 year old diesel) BTW, I have seen around 18 on long trips and it has a 40 gallon tank so when I fill up after 600 miles it is a real good indicator of MPG. Burb is stock with stock sized 50 PSI "C" range tires with street tread and feed by 93 octane in summer and 89 in winter. MPG on it was 14 at best in summer with 87 and it was a slug on it too when new. Higher octane fuel really woke it up. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Do you really think anyone believes you anymore?
Ron
On May 16, 5:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

As you are going to be pulling a large trailer with a lot of weight, I would recommend, just as Ron Racer did that you look into a diesel vice the gas engine. Most that do not just flat out hate diesels (Like Snojob does) woud agree that this would be a much better choise. If you really look into what most use for the purpose you mention, not too many use a gasser anymore.
Yes a diesel can my a little louder, but that is mostly outside. Yes, they can "stink" a little but again, outside. You didn't plan on running along side it did you? :)
FYI please heed the words Snojob spews with great caution as he is famous for giving information to unknowing persons as yourself that is dangerous and in some cases deadly.
As to your tires, being from Buffalo myself, get something that would provide a good lug pattern, self cleaning abilities and is M&S (mud snow) rated. Sorry I can not recommend a specific brand as it has been many years since I have looked into dually tires. Bridgestone/ Firestone makes some and I would at least recommend their line.
a well taken care of 350 can easily go 190,000 miles and often more. old john
Hello, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net! You wrote on Wed, 16 May 2007 08:01:03 -0400:
L> Thanks,
With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

I have never and will never dispute that fact. Hell my 5.3l has 200k on it and running strong. All I was say is that for the purposes she plans on using the truck for, a diesel is a much better choise of vehicle.
First... We have 3 350 trucks we are using right now. One has over 250,000 and still runs great only thing ever done to it was valve seals at about 200,000 miles and one has 279,000 and had an intake gasket replaced, other only has 100,000 or so. 350's are a proven engine. As far as pulling we have a diesel for that. The Duramax is an unbelievable engine, I would definitely go that way. They are not the scary "thing" that Sno-Man makes them out to be. As far as resale value they hold better than gas engines. The Duramax is much quieter than the older 6.2's and 6.5's and pull many times better. Only thing now is to use an additive in the fuel with the low sulfur fuel to keep pumps and injectors lubed. If you want to stay away from the diesel the 454 would be better for the heavy pulling than the 350, but you can get away with the 350... Good Luck Katie

Thanks guys! I did mean the gas 454 motor not the 350, sorry, I would not be towing to far, just to local shows, with my 2 appaloosa's. Is tranny or oil cooler things neccesary?
Katie
On May 17, 6:19 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Not necessary, but it would be HIGHLY recommended. This is a case of much better safe than sorry.

It should already have these things on a 1 ton dualie with a 454. My SRW 1 ton of that era has them. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com