Chevy LUV transmission questions

I am looking at a Chevy LUV Diesel pickup with a bad 5 speed. From what I understand, this is a very common defect with them. Is there any automatic besides the one that was also offered with these trucks that
would bolt up-- preferably one with OD and lockup? Or maybe another 5 speed man, that is more durable? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Larry