Chevy recalls

Wtf is going on at GM, I myself have alot of problems with my 03 silverado, no more chevy's for me, and did you know that chevy had more recalls than any other american manufacturer, heres a link to prove it

jmex

Shep

Reply to
KENG

GM produces more vehicles than other manufacturers. Better to recall and resolve rather than not recall and blame it on consumers (remember the Audi debacle? F*cked them good for at least a decade). Just curious, what percentages are you talking about or are you just focusing on the quantities?

my 03

chevy had more

to prove it

Franko

My '01 1500 Silverado has been reliable, dependable, very easy on fuel and a suprisingly strong tow vehicle. I have been driving for for 35 years and can say without reservation this is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Reply to
Lance LaFrinier

We own a 99 GMC Jimmy and have had nothing but problems, first at 70k the O2 sensors went bad, then at 80k the wheel bearing, now at 95k the Transfer Case Control Module took a crap and the #4 fuel injector stopped working, and the water pump is out.....We still owe like 7k on this truck and it wont even last to make 100,000 miles. Needless to say this will be the LAST SUV we buy from any line of Fine Chevy's

Reply to
Adam F.

Greetings,

Last time I checked (I currently own a diesel so I don't have an O2 sensor), but aren't O2 sensors supposed to be replaced on a 30-50,000 mile interval? Bad gas or the unwise use of fuel additives is usually the #1 killer of them as well. You also got 80k miles out of a wheel bearing on a 4x4 - not too bad if you never repacked your bearings. The #4 fuel injector - sounds like bad gas as well. In over 95k miles of driving (some of it off road?) then no matter what brand you bought this sounds about average for things that go wrong.

But now to the important point - did you buy this truck new? 'Cause if you did it boggles my mind that you have a 6 year old truck and STILL owe $7,000 on it! Holy Mackerel!

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

This is your wakeup call... The above is called "maintenance". It is to be expected. If that's all you've had to do in 6 years, you should be happy. And why shouldn't it keep running past 100k miles? If you keep taking care of it, following the maintenance schedule specified by GM (especially concerning lubrication), it should last a long time.

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Reply to
Robert Ball

I Currently own one Chevy with less then 100,000 Miles on it, and a few with more then 100,000. My 89 GMC Jimmy 4x4 400,000K+ Miles. Orginal Engine, transmission, transfercase, and diffs. 2nd Body shell on that frame, Ready for a third!

My 84 C-10 finally died a few months back. Timing chain broke at over

350,000 Miles. Orginal Engine, Transmission, & Rear end. I sold the transmission for $75 (TH350 Mid-tail) to off set the cost of the 4WD frame (compleate with running 350) with a 6 inch lift kit Im buying for it.

My 86 C-10 81,000 Miles(for sale). Was previously owned by a grandpa who was taken by idiot mechanics. Needs some brake work & a choke pull off. Rust free dual tank long bed. Needs cab corners and rocker paniels.

My 1991 C-2500 shows 250,000K+ miles. Orginal engine (aint had it on the lift to check the other parts yet), that 350 purrs like a 30,000 mile motor.

My 87 Cavalier Z-24 has over 130,000 on it. Most of them in town. 3-4 shift syncro is messed up.

Most other GM Vehicals I have had, as well as my family has owned, have lived well past the 100,000 mile mark. The key? Routine mantainace. Replace a part when the issue starts, not when it becomes a catstophic failure.

I don't use Cheep Oil, Cheep Gas, or Cheep Parts. That includes filters. I use brands that I know prefrom well, because I demand my vehicals preform well and dependible.

70,000 miles and no P-M? not too shabby reguardless of brand. 95,000 miles and some fuel system trouble? still aint bad. 95,000 and encoder motor issues? still aint too bad. Stuff wears out, 100,000 with no reapirs aint gonna happen. Not unless you drive 50,000 miles a year. Charles Hell Im happy if a set of drive tires lasts me 25,000 miles.
Reply to
Charles Bendig
2001 GMC K1500HD 6.0L Piston Slap - dealer refused to fix saying everything's OK, bitched about the noise and shake when I traded it in for a 2005 duramax 2500HD. At least I get that diesel sound AND better fuel mileage (went from 13 to 20 mpg).
Reply to
Nottingham

No, there is no "maintenance interval" for 02 sensors on GM vehicles that I know of. You can check the owners manual (I have), but I don't believe that you will find any such thing.

Except you can't repack the wheel bearings on a 99 Jimmy 4X4, so that excuse is out the window. In fact, they have had nothing but problems with premature wheel bearing failures on these vehicles, so I think the OP has a legitimate complaint.

Again, this engine/vehicle has had a bad record of injector problems. So bad that I believe California forced GM to extend the warranty in that state on problem injectors in those vehicles.

These vehicles also have a lot of problems with the encoder motor for the t/case and the t/case control module

Sounds to me like the OP has legitimate reasons to be unhappy with the vehicle. I sure wouldn't buy one of those pieces of shit.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

My 1978 Silverado, bought new, sold with 321,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. ONE timing chain change. I liked the Toyota Tundra, but don't care for timing belts. Bought a new 2004 Sierra SLT 4WD EXT CAB. Love the truck. Hope it goes 300,000!

Reply to
Ann Meffert

Cross your fingers..!!! My Brother -in-law has had nothing but trouble with his 2001!! he had the CAT CONVERTERS CHANGED TODAY. 2 of them $700.00 and the dealer told him there was No Guarentee that it will FIX The LOSS of ENGINE POWER. 125,000 miles.

prior to that it was a CAP ( TWO WEEKS AGO ) Prior to that it WAS a FUEL PUMP RELAY THREE WEEKS AGO

Prior to that it was a FUEL FILTER ONE WEEK AGO! AL SERRA CHEVY of GRAND BLANC , MI

Reply to
no one

Reply to
Robert Ball

First off 125,000 miles is past the "Tune Up" mileage. Spark plugs should be changed. Plug wires should be changed (Even GM D.I.S. spark plug connectors go bad). The coil terminals and wire terminals to the coils should be inspected. A can of pressurized injector cleaner should be run thru it. The air box should be checked for cracks or debris (blow out the inlet pipes to the air box with compressed air). All the filters should be replaced. All the fluids should be replaced, especially in the transmission and rear end.

Once the maintenance items have been done, if there is still a "loss of power" GM has specific diagnostic procedures to follow. Any competent dealer should be able to follow these and find the issue.

As for items like relays, fuel caps, and other minor issues (ie:fuses). They go bad. 125,000 miles no matter the make or model, will have issues like those. Normal wear items like brake parts only last 30,000 to

50,000 miles. Suspension parts have a service life of 70,000 to 150,000 miles.

When replacing a catalytic converter you should have a good idea why it was bad. Because if it is a engine issue (ie not external damage) then your new cats will be junk in short order. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig