Chevy S10 2000 - engine stalls to a very slow acceleration rate; oil pressure drops

My daughter's Chevy S10 truck (year 2000), after driving for a bit, apparently stalls to a very slow acceleration rate. The oil pressure drops very low at the same time. Then, for the rest of her drive (a short one
usually) she can only go 20 mph. This has only happened twice, and I can not duplicate it myself. I checked the oil level - it is fine and it's not dirty oil. Coolant is fine; Auto trans fluid fine; air filter fine. I'm wondering if there is some corelation to the heat - If she's driving for a long time this may be the cause. Hard to tell with only two instances. Was wondering if it could be the oil pump, the fuel injection system, or the fuel filter. Any ideas?
Thanks Brian
I'd replace the fuerl filter for starters, cheap and as good a guess as any.

-
What do you have to do to change the fuel filter? Drain the fuel tank? I have not changed one before on a vehicle. Only on riding mowers. Where is it typically located on Chevy S10 trucks?
Brian

can
I'm
News==----
Newsgroups
=----
No need to drain the tank. Older models were usually along the frame forward of rear wheels.

Brian wrote:

No need to drain the tank. Older models were usually along the frame forward of rear wheels.
Brian wrote:

One Posibility:
Engine Low Power, Stall, No Start (Replace Modular Fuel Sender Assembly and Fuel Filter) #01-06-04-038 - (07/18/2001) Engine Low Power, Stall, No Start (Replace Modular Fuel Sender Assembly and Fuel Filter)
2000-2001 Chevrolet and GMC S Pickup Models
With 2.2L Engine (VIN 5 -- RPO L43) Condition
Some customers may comment on the engine exhibiting a low power, stalling, and/or a no start condition. Cause
A restricted or plugged modular fuel sender/pump assembly fuel strainer may result in reduced fuel flow. Correction
Replace the existing modular fuel sender assembly with a new assembly, P/N 15073337 and the existing fuel filter with a new filter, P/N 15077584. The new modular fuel sender assembly is equipped with a larger mesh strainer and the new fuel filter is designed to filter not only the fuel directed to the engine, but also the fuel being returned to the fuel tank. When replacing the modular fuel sender assembly, a new sender to tank seal, P/N 15073338, will also be required.
When replacing the required components, follow the applicable service procedure in the 2001 Service Manual. Parts Information
Part Number
Description
15073337
Module Asm-F/Tnk F/Pmp
(Sender and Pump)
15073338
Gasket Seal-Fuel Sdr
15077584
Filter Asm-FuelBruce Porter wrote:

Brian wrote:

Get yourself the Chilton's Service Manual from your local auto parts store.
Brian wrote:

Remember with this year to Relieve Fuel Presure through shreader valve 1st, before changing that filter. But I would look at the sparks, wires, rotor 1st.Get a compression check, and check the fuel pressure, a small reduction in fuel pressure goes a long way. Does the fuel pump make a loud humming sound (at least more then other GMC/Chevys on the road) The fuel filter is easy ( I did spend an hour with that dam mounting bracket) but it should not be the thing that is wrong. The fuel system could be a problem, but a clogged fuel filter should not be effected if it only happens when hot or after a long drive
Sounds like the fuel injection control computer is going into a "limp Home mode" this usually happens when it looses a signal from several of the fuel injection sensors. Get this looked at by a good car computer dude. These sensors can usually be checked to a great extent with a good digital multimeter. You find out what the last error the computer saw by pulling the trouble codes from the computer. Some sensors which "may, might, maybe" cause this are a failing map sensor, failing throttle position potentiometer, failing engine temp or distributor signal pulse which fires the fuel injection pulses. failing o2 sensor might cause this on some cars. On my Jaguar it was caused by the sensor wire touching something it shouldn't and eventually it shorted intermittently.
--
JAMES HAYES
"pegreenb" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Shouldn't u check the the fuel pressure first, or at least check for trouble codes, before jumping into dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump? All these responces seem to me as jumping first-- look later