chevy starters grinding

i have 2 chevys with the same starter problem an 85 suburban and 79 scottsdale both 350 v8 we put new starters in and they would sound fine for a few starts and then it would grind horribly even broke a starter we tried shimming in the scottsdale but didnt work i have a 9\16 wrench that i adjust the starter in the subrban until it sounds fine starter is not holding in place i dont know why or how to fix it

Reply to
needhelpalot

sounds like you have some Bad BENDIX or the housing bushings are worn

needhelpalot wrote:

Reply to
Santa

Sometimes shimming the starter makes it worse because the mountiong plate too thick to begin with.........try grinding down the mounting pad a little at a time. Also you must support the front half of the starter using the factory bracket that bolts to the block. Or you are installing the wrong starter for your flywheel, or maybe the ring gear on the flexplate is shot-out, or maybe the flexplate is cracked completely around the crank flange. or maybe you should have another beer.

Reply to
Mad Dog