Chevy Truck Problems

Hi!
I am having some problems with 2 of our trucks and have run out of ideas of what the problems are and what to do so I was hoping that someone out there might shed some light on the situation....Also we
cannot afford to sell and replace the vehicles as money is tight right now and these are paid for.....so any help is appreciated.
1st truck: 1980 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 Its problem is that you can start it up just fine and go around 5 to 10 mile then the engine starts to hesitate then die. You have to wait about 45 minutes then prime the carburator to restart then it will run another 5 to 10 miles and does it again :x We have put a new electric fuel pump,new fuel lines, and filter. Please help!
2nd truck: 1984 Chevy C3500 1 ton dually This truck likes to eat starters :x we have replaced the flywheel twice and the starter 6 times! We have tried shims,no shims,different starters,heavy duty starters etc. We have double and triple checked the flywheel and starters to be sure they were the correct one for this truck. The engine has been replaced, new alternator,new battery,spark plugs and wires etc.
We are at wits end! If you have any ideas as to what is wrong with either of these trucks please let me know! Thanks!
Stephanie
βœ–
On the 80, check the sock on the fuel pick up line in the tank, these were troublesome over time. Carb inlet filter also.

-
Add pictures here
βœ–
Replace the person who is driving it !
sounds like they are leaving the engine running while leaving the truck, then comming back and hitting the Starter while it is still already running 1984 truck
TXtruckgal wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
"" wrote: > Replace the person who is driving it ! > > sounds like they are leaving the engine running while leaving > the truck, > then comming back and hitting the Starter while it is still > already > running 1984 truck > > TXtruckgal wrote: > > Hi! > > > > I am having some problems with 2 of our trucks and have run > out of > > ideas of what the problems are and what to do so I was > hoping that > > someone out there might shed some light on the > situation....Also we > > cannot afford to sell and replace the vehicles as money is > tight right > > now and these are paid for.....so any help is appreciated. > > > > 1st truck: 1980 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 > > Its problem is that you can start it up just fine and go > around 5 to > > 10 mile then the engine starts to hesitate then die. You > have to wait > > about 45 minutes then prime the carburator to restart then > it will run > > another 5 to 10 miles and does it again :x We have put a > new > > electric fuel pump,new fuel lines, and filter. Please help! > > > > > > 2nd truck: 1984 Chevy C3500 1 ton dually > > This truck likes to eat starters :x we have replaced the > flywheel > > twice and the starter 6 times! We have tried shims,no > shims,different > > starters,heavy duty starters etc. We have double and triple > checked > > the flywheel and starters to be sure they were the correct > one for > > this truck. The engine has been replaced, new alternator,new > > battery,spark plugs and wires etc. > > > > We are at wits end! If you have any ideas as to what is > wrong with > > either of these trucks please let me know! Thanks! > > > > Stephanie > >
:roll: Thanks but I’m not an idiot! I never leave my truck running it is not a diesal. If you don’t wish to be helpful then please don’t respond.
βœ–
1980 - Why does it have an electric fuel pump? Are the lines on the sender in good shape? You said you replaced all the lines...Are you referring to the rubber lines from the sender to the frame lines, the frame lines, both...?
1984 - In what way are the starters and flywheels going bad? Sounds like the ignition might be sticking at the on position causing the starter to drag, or like mentioned, someone might be turning the key to start after it is already running.

Add pictures here
βœ–
TXtruckgal wrote:

    On the 1984 You replaced the flywheel twice? Is the ring gear getting damaged? If so is it all over damage of just in one spot?
    Do you have the nose support bracket on the starter? It is Very Importiant with high torque starters to have the front of the starter supported. What about the starter bolts? have you made sure you have the correct bolts? Are the worn or streached? Having a starter not mounted square to the block will cause a mis-alinghment no amount of shims can fix. You also mention a engine replacement. What year is the replacement engine? There are codes on a pad by the waterpump on the passengers side. Do you know what they are?
    On the 1980, is the electric fuel pump in the tank or on the frame? Have you checked the fuel pressure? when the engine does not want to start? what type and model of carburator? Charles
Add pictures here
βœ–
The stock 1980 would have had a diaphragm fuel pump mounted on the side of the block. If an electric fuel pump was added it may not be enough by itself to provide enough pressure on it's own.
There may be pinholes in your gas line from the gas tank which let air in but don't leak gas. I had a car do this once with similar symptoms to yours. The car would start and run fine for about 20-30 minutes and then stall. Nothing short of letting it sit for 20 minutes would get it going again.
On your 1984 you said you replaced the engine. Was the original or similar engine put in or was another model swapped in. Any hi performance mod's to the engine?
Scott
On 20 Nov 2005 19:35:52 GMT, TXtruckgal

Add pictures here
βœ–
Sounds like you could have the wrong gas cap on your tank. The next time it stops, Remove the gas cap and try re-starting it. If it starts right back up, replace the cap with the correct vented cap. STOVEBOLT

Add pictures here
βœ–
coil ?

Add pictures here
βœ–
[...]
First on the 1980, It seems that something is getting hot then causing you problems. I would look at the coil.
On the 1984, It sounds like the starter is still spinning after the engine is started or the starter is not kicking out all the way after it engages thus rubbing the flywheel. Seen the starter stay spinning even after the engine shut off a few times due to bad solenoid.
Sarge
Add pictures here
βœ–
Does the 1980 use a push-rod type fuel pump. If so, it's been shortened due to wear. I used to have a Ford that did that, took me FOREVER to figure it out. Carried a can of MAPP gas around before I figured that out.
I hope you've got this fixed by now ... sorry, I just joined the list.
BT3

Add pictures here
βœ–