Chevy Van 1989 350 engine two barrel carb.

I need help I have no engine smarts!! I have a V-8 engine that burns oil like crazy! why? what can I do? also the carb I believe ? when I stop at a light it revs up by itself for 2-3 seconds then
calms down and does it again 30 seconds later! over and over again. Why what can I do? also there is a bad pinging when I try to go up hill and it has no power! It also sounds like very loud as if there is pinging coiming from the valves?? Any help please write to Tony Falasca Thank you very much! :)