Chevy Venture Spark Plugs??

Yeah Yeah I know, it isn't a truck, but I value your opinions and advice here and afterall it is a Chevy!! So here goes.... by buddy has a 97 Chevy Venture that he has just bought. It has 150,000 km on the clock. It appears that it may be running on the original spark plugs. Very badly worn. He wants to change the plugs and is unsure on how to access the rear plugs. It is a V6 engine. Anyone know the procedure to R&R the rear spark plugs on this vehicle? As usual your advice and help is very appreciated. Also any advice on what plugs to buy? Platinums?

Thanks, Glenn

Reply to
DaNewf

Glenn, The venture came with platinum plugs from the factory, they recommend changing at 160,000km. I would use the same AC plug it came with. On the rear plugs you need some universal extensions. Really arent as bad as they look. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Glenn,

Use Delco platinum plugs, good for 100k miles, and not standard plugs good for 24k miles or so. On vehicles where the plugs are hard to get at, Platinum is always your best bet.

He'll have better luck going at the rear plugs from underneath than he will from on top. Lots of socket extensions, wobble extensions and a universal joint will come in very handy.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I've changed the plugs on my 98 Montana at 85K miles and they would have easily made it to 100K miles. The procedure I used was to remove the two upper engine supports, rock the engine forward and secure in the forward position. I had to remove the coil packs for added clearance but with the engine rocked forward there's enough room with the right combination of extensions to get at the plugs. The engine must be cold otherwise you risk seizing the plugs. Not saying it can't be done from the bottom but I don't have ready access to a hoist. You didn't ask: You can also get to the pre convertor O2 sensor with the engine forward. By removing the upper manifold you can get to the thermostat when it needs serviced. Remove some wiper linkage and the alternator will come out.... As for plugs, stay with platinum, in fact, I recall they are "double platinum". With a 3 coil, 6 cyl. engine, 1 coil fires 2 cyls. One plug fires electrode to ground, the other fires ground to electrode.

Reply to
DonW

Thanks guys!

I'll pass the info on to my buddy. After posting this question I inquired more into his problem.... with his van I mean. He told me that the plugs looked very worn down on the centre electrode. He said that they were very pointy!! Ha!! I said are you sure those aren't platinum's?? The look on his face...priceless!!! Anyway he's still going to change out the plugs, probably time anyway.

So...here's how this got started. He had the venture in to a transmission shop because there is a problem that he describes as a shudder/surging at around 85km/hr +. The shop couldn't find anything wrong but did a tranny flush (at his request). Problem is still there. So he decided to do a tune-up starting with the plugs.

So..... any known probs with a 97 venture with regards to a tranny shudder/stumble? Also note that I have not test driven this vehicle myself and my friend's second language is English and sometimes has a trouble describing things to me. Maybe this is the TC locking up/unlocking that he feels???? I will post more info when I know more.

Thanks again!!

Glenn

Reply to
DaNewf

Glenn, The Venture came with platinum plugs. At 85km you are right as the speed where not only is the tc locking and unlocking but also cycling in and out of overdrive. Thats an electronic trans , usually if anything serious goes on the check engine light will come on. If your friend has not had a automatic overdrive before it just may be a matter of getting used to it. Scott

Reply to
zonie

I passed the info on to my buddy, he changed out the plugs for new platinum's, NGK I believe. Anyway he says that the van runs perfectly now. Thanks for all your help guys. Doc, he changed the plugs as you suggested, from underneath. About 1.5 hrs to change out the 6 plugs. Thanks again.

-Glenn

Reply to
DaNewf