Chey Trans question

Have a 95 GMC light duty 3/4 ton 4WD w/towing package.

Other than transmission oil & filter change, what other type of preventive maintenance is needed?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

That's about all that you can do with out opening it up and looking for wear. Although not preventative maintenance if you add a transmission cooler to it you'll definitely help it's life.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

. . ======== ======== gps snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Bob)

Have a 95 GMC light duty 3/4 ton 4WD w/towing package.

(A QUESTION) Other than transmission oil & filter change, what other type of preventive maintenance is needed?

Thanks, Bob ============= =============

(assuming the unit feels like it's doing ok, and the condition of the fluid and the contents of the pan, do not indicate further inspection is warranted)

Make sure the truck has a secondary oil cooler installed on it behind the grill area. Add one if needed.

Add a bottle of LubeGaurd to the fluid when you do the service.

Insure the engine performance is good, and all sensors are reacting good with no signs being sluggish.

Never tow in OD.

DO NOT LET ANYONE F L U S H THE TRANS !!!!!

then..... jest sit back and save yer money for the inevitable rebuild that IS coming later on down the road.

hopefully helpfull,

MarshMonster ~takes a toke.......and thinks a disclaimer is called for......~

~the above measures are intended to provide maximum servicability of the unit, omitting one or more of the measures can, or may, directly affect the length of durability of the unit~ ========== ==========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I agree with Marsh and el on this one, but I think I'd call adding a cooler preventative maintenance. It's just good sense, no matter what you do...

and like Marsh said-- do NOT tow in OD....

Reply to
burntkat

As all others have said, Cooler helps add a lot of life, and avoid towing in OD. Beyond that it is a matter of changing fluid and filter from time to time, and blind dumb luck.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Reply to
Bob

Sounds like an engine problem to me. Specifically, the cooling system

Reply to
burntkat

- and BTW--- ALL automatics route the fluid through the radiator.....

might want to consider upgrading to an external trans cooler as well... or maybe instead of, the factory bit.

Reply to
burntkat

The towing package routes transmission fluid thru lines in the radiator.

=A0 Fluid looks and smells OK,

but after going up a STEEP hill, temp was OK till I turned it off. Then I started getting an agressive bubbling thru the over flow.

So I was getting the feeling that maybe the transmission might have some issues. =A0 Also seems to be a little slow in shifting when cold.

Fluid level is OK.

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I heard there used to be "band" adjustments on transmissions. Don't know if they were still there, or the tranny might be in need of a rebuild.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D (burntcat) replied:

Sounds like an engine problem to me.

- and BTW--- ALL automatics route the fluid through the radiator.....

might want to consider upgrading to an external trans cooler as well... or maybe instead of, the factory bit. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

whut Smelly Cat said..... ditto

~:~ MarshMonster ~hopes you change that fluid like you said... so's you can take a peek at what's laying in the bottom of the pan~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster