Cluck in sterring column

Hi all,

There is a TSB out for a clunking noise coming for the steering column of my

99 GMC Z71, this is happening to my truck but I can't figure out how to dismantle the steering column enough to get at the actual part that needs lubricating

What's happening is when the truck goes over any bumps, there is what feels like a clunk in the steering column, its very evident in the steering wheel

Once I got the shaft out that's between the steering box and the area just prior to the protective rubber casing (sorry, I'm not a mechanic so I know the technical terms) I couldn't figure out how to get at the part that slides up and down the steering shaft to lubricate it, apparently that's the part that needs lubricating

Can anyone enlighten me on how this is done?

Thanks!!!! Brian

Reply to
99 Z71 owner

OKAY!!! I am gonna do a 'DUH!' here, I can feel it... WHAT IS TSB???

Reply to
Shades

dismantle the steering column enough to get at the actual part that needs

Reply to
Brown Weed

I have an '03 Z-71 and have noticed the same thing you are talking about. Does anyone know the TSB number or where I can get a copy?

Reply to
TRx2

Matt,

Technical Service Bulletin = TSB

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

Cluck in sterring column Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Nov 12, 2003, 6:54am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca (99=A0Z71=A0owner) Hi all, There is a TSB out for a clunking noise coming for the steering column of my 99 GMC Z71, this is happening to my truck but I can't figure out how to dismantle the steering column enough to get at the actual part that needs lubricating What's happening is when the truck goes over any bumps, there is what feels like a clunk in the steering column, its very evident in the steering wheel Once I got the shaft out that's between the steering box and the area just prior to the protective rubber casing (sorry, I'm not a mechanic so I know the technical terms) I couldn't figure out how to get at the part that slides up and down the steering shaft to lubricate it, apparently that's the part that needs lubricating Can anyone enlighten me on how this is done? Thanks!!!! Brian

ok the TSB is to lube the intermideate shaft...You just remove the two bolts that holds the shaft to the gear box/rack n pinion..one boltt..And the steering colum...second bolt.....when you get the shaft out dont try to pull it apart....there is a secial lube kit you need to get at the dealer and it comes with instructions..... getting the number for the tsb is as easy as calling the dealership and asking for the Tsb number for lubing the intermideate shaft and while your on the phone ask how much the lube is..... Steve C.

Reply to
kathy cook

See...DUH!!! Thanx Snowman.

Reply to
Shades

Re: Cluck in sterring column (TOP POST) There is a special tool that comes in the lube kit..You will need it to lube it right or you will not get the lube all the way in the shaft....This amongst other things are a common problm in Chevrolets cars and trucks,,,What it was is the manufacture didnt put enough lube in the shaft in the first place...So being it is not a safty issue there is no recall...But how ever if you let it go for too long there are splines in the shaft...and they will rub down ....Then you have to replace the shaft of you can damage your gear box ...or rac n pinion which ever you may have....It is designed to move up and down to relieve pressure and if it can move the gear box and rack take all the pressure.... Steve C

99 GMC Z71, this is happening to my truck but I can't figure out how to dismantle the steering column enough to get at the actual part that needs lubricating What's happening is when the truck goes over any bumps, there is what feels like a clunk in the steering column, its very evident in the steering wheel Once I got the shaft out that's between the steering box and the area just prior to the protective rubber casing (sorry, I'm not a mechanic so I know the technical terms) I couldn't figure out how to get at the part that slides up and down the steering shaft to lubricate it, apparently that's the part that needs lubricating Can anyone enlighten me on how this is done? Thanks!!!! Brian
Reply to
Steve Cook

Hi all,

Thanks for the help!!! Especially Shiden Kai for providing the instructions AND pics

I'm gonna tackle it tomorrow if the damn rain stops

Brian

Reply to
99 Z71 owner

instructions

Reply to
RR USER

I got the Lubricating kit for the intermediate shaft, cost $28 Canadian which I thought was a bit of a rip-off but it certainly did the job, no more clunk in the steering wheel

Thanks everyone! Brian

Reply to
99 Z71 owner