clunk

Where do you put the grease for the fix?? directly on the splines leaving the tcase to the rear diff?? or do you put it in thd drive shaft yoke before
sliding the driveshaft back on?? Do you really need the special grease from the dealer?
Thanks Tony
I'm guessing this is a late-model 1500.... You need High Pressure grease, just put it inside the yoke. It's an easy, 20min job. 10 if you have ratcheting box-end wrenches and a lift (including lift time).
~KJ~

True, but easier, faster, less muddy if you have a lift.
~KJ~

a quality independant auto parts store.
-Bret

Damn I'm jealous! I waiting for the landscapers who own a 5-acre chunk of land behind my land to move out so I can use the barn as a super-garage of sorts. Two-level vehicle storage and a hydraulic lift are on the menu...................if they ever leave.
Doc

Funny, I wouldn't know that at all!
~KJ~

It is quite easy and MUCH cheaper than replacing the yoke! I did this on my '99 Suburban last Spring and it has yet to make the clunk again. Just used some high temp grease from the ol' grease gun inside the splines. Quick, cheap and easy!

sorry yes 98 tahoe
Would this apply to my 92 K1500. I got a clunk thats driving me nuts.

Yup. Yank the driveshaft, grease the splines, and no more noise.
Doc

Doensnt last long though

I use Mobil 1 grease and it lasts 8-12 months.
Doc
What the 39$ per tub from the dealer isnt good enough. LOL Thanks Doc Tony
How much do you put in there by the way ?? Do you lube all the splines all the way down or just a bunch around the top which should slide a buch in. Thanks again Tony

I just slop a "handful" in there and rub it around with my hand as far down as I can reach.
Doc

Are you a mechanic or a veterinarian? ;-) H

Neither, I'm an Epidemiologist. He he he he he.........
Doc