clunk

Where do you put the grease for the fix?? directly on the splines leaving the tcase to the rear diff?? or do you put it in thd drive shaft yoke before sliding the driveshaft back on?? Do you really need the special grease from the dealer?

Thanks Tony

Reply to
Rokihora

I'm guessing this is a late-model 1500.... You need High Pressure grease, just put it inside the yoke. It's an easy,

20min job. 10 if you have ratcheting box-end wrenches and a lift (including lift time).

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

No need to lift a stock height truck. Just slide under and have at it!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

True, but easier, faster, less muddy if you have a lift.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

It is quite easy and MUCH cheaper than replacing the yoke! I did this on my '99 Suburban last Spring and it has yet to make the clunk again. Just used some high temp grease from the ol' grease gun inside the splines. Quick, cheap and easy!

Reply to
Kevin

sorry yes 98 tahoe

Reply to
Rokihora

Would this apply to my 92 K1500. I got a clunk thats driving me nuts.

Reply to
Mastermech

Ahhh, I have a garage, no more mud for me. I was a mud-wrencher for YEARS and man does it suck. She always seemed to blow up when it was bitter cold or raining. He he he he he he.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Yup. Yank the driveshaft, grease the splines, and no more noise.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doensnt last long though

Reply to
Rokihora

that's why I've got a bud that has a lift in his garage AND works for a quality independant auto parts store.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Damn I'm jealous! I waiting for the landscapers who own a 5-acre chunk of land behind my land to move out so I can use the barn as a super-garage of sorts. Two-level vehicle storage and a hydraulic lift are on the menu...................if they ever leave.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I use Mobil 1 grease and it lasts 8-12 months.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

What the 39$ per tub from the dealer isnt good enough. LOL Thanks Doc Tony

Reply to
Rokihora

How much do you put in there by the way ?? Do you lube all the splines all the way down or just a bunch around the top which should slide a buch in. Thanks again Tony

Reply to
Rokihora

I just slop a "handful" in there and rub it around with my hand as far down as I can reach.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Funny, I wouldn't know that at all!

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Are you a mechanic or a veterinarian? ;-) H

Reply to
Hairy

Neither, I'm an Epidemiologist. He he he he he.........

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"