Code Reader Recommendations?

I have a 99 Suburban that is giving me problems, along with a Toyota (pre-drive-by-wire) in the fuel/ignition systems. The Toyota is quiet now, but looking toward the future and to diagnose the GMC right now I would like to get a code reader that will store the last x seconds/minutes of data and download to a computer to diagnose the actual problem(s). It is NOT giving any codes for the stuttering at speed or the hesitation. The last code it gave after months of major problems and backfiring was a MAF sensor, which I replaced with a used unit. This greatly improved the situation, but did not fix it. I changed out the MAP sensor with a new one and it is considerably better, but not right. Without the engine under load the problem does not seem to appear, only under load. I would like to be able to hook it up as I drive and after an episode hold the data in one of these units. Does anybody have any recommendations for a code reader that t will do this?

Mike D.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

No code reader only does this. You have to step up to a good scan tool to get data recording and actual live data readout. Something like a Genisys, Snap-on Modis or even the older 2500. Figure about $1,300 or so for a used one on Ebay.

Stutter at speed and hesitation could be caused by an O2 sensor that is starting to go bad.

Reply to
Steve W.

I've been using Car Code in my laptop.

for a few years now. It told me my '99 Yuk had a miss fire, but failures in the secondary ignition system are not monitored by the obd as to codes for coils, plugs, etc. . It will only show which cylinder is misfiring but not why. My distributor was bad at 90k miles (old style 5.7) misfiring under load. Coil had signs of arcing also and was replaced.

Reply to
Repairman

already replaced, hence the need to get a reader with graphing and holding data capability with transfer to PC to activate in use when the problem arises. There are such units available for about $250 or so from AutoZone and O'Reillys.

Reply to
Michael Dobony