Codes on my laptop or PDA?

I have a 1988 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup and I would like to monitor the ECM data through the diagnostic connector while the engine is running. I understand
there are expensive electronic tools to do this, but I was wondering if there is cabling and software available so that I can do this with a laptop or PDA? Where can I get more info on the net? I'm very computer literate, just not as they relate to cars.
Thanks! Dan

expensive as the scan tools. Also, being that your truck is OBD 1, there are very limited choices for the software. Being that I was looking for something that did OBD1 and 2, you might have better luck. Just search for "OBD1 software" in Google you should find some stuff.
Check out e-bay. There's tons of them on there.
Randy

Try "Winaldl" it's free and will send lots of info to a laptop which you can log and look at later. For the interface cable you need a soldering iron and 5 bucks for parts, very simple.
Ha ha hot dang!!! This thing really works!!! I put the cable together, installed the software and it works like a charm! Fantastic! I'm going to write this guy a check. This is better than the $600+ diagnostic tool at Shucks (at least for my needs) and all for price of a used laptop that you can get for $200 - $400. Costs nothing if you already have one. Now all I have to do is capture the data when the problem happens.
Here's web site:
http://www.winaldl.webhop.net /
Works for me. Thanks for your input everyone!
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BCarney147) wrote in

Dan wrote:

You built the cable yourself? I was interested in this product but I'm not electronically inclined enough to build the cable from the instructions on the page. I can use a solder gun and have a steady hand, just can't read schematics. Would it be possible to detail me in on the cable? If not, it's cool, I'll hit up one of those links they recommended. Thanks
Look into the Sears catalog. I seem to remember some electronic tools that plug into computers. May not be what you want or you can try a MAC or other tool rep.
Bruce
I have to agree with WCarney. Try "Winaldl" I have it and its free and the cable is easy to Make.
where can I find info on Winald1? I tried google and got nothing.
--
TIA
Brian Jones
Brian Jones wrote:

There are tons of information on the Internet regarding GM ECM systems. For example -
http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/aldl160/160serial.htm http://w1.601.telia.com/~u60113744/software/winaldl/aldllinks.htm http://www.ws6transam.org/ALDL.html http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm / http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/oddworld/24 /
If this isn't enough, search Google for +GM +ECM