Colorado Opinions anyone?

I am purchasing a new Colorado. I think it is a great filler between S-10 and Silverado. I live in Boston, so size is an issue.

I like my Z71 truck with extended cab. It is bigger than a Ranger and S-10. The I-5 engine is more horsepower and torgue than the Ford and Chevy V-6. It has the typical GM plastics, but they are not so bad.

I have read many reviews, but they all seem lukewarm to this model. Does anyone Colorado owner have any great reviews?

Reply to
Vito Cavallo

Yea, exactly, if you think its great then buy it, doesn't matter what the reviews say. I went to GM's web site and the dimensions of it are almost all within 1" of the S10 dimensions so I was disappointed that it wasn't any bigger than the S10. I'm needing just a bit more cab space then what the extended cab S10 gives as my wife wants to have kids. Also the I5 has more HP but less torque than the Chevy v6 from the s10, not more torque as you had listed.

Reply to
Eugene

What good would it do, sounds like your mind is made up & you want one despite MANY so-so reviews...

Reply to
Stephen Young

They don't look too bad to me. The extended cab does look like it has more space in the rear and the quad cab seems to have a bit longer bed. If they would redo the dash so it has some ergonomic design and get a better engine (the I6 would do) and get rid of the rack and pinion steering so you can drive on rough roads, the "better road feel" of rack and pinion actually sprained my wrist on a bumpy PA highway which is won reason I want to my current s10 so I don't have the extra feel of the rack and pinon steering.

Reply to
Eugene

I really wish GM would introduce a mid size. I use my s10 to haul stuff all the time and like the option of being able to tow if I need to. Looking in todays shrinking parking lots the silverado just barley fits. My work the guys who drive full size trucks can't fit between the lines, the passenger side tires have to sit on the lines between the parking spaces and they have to back in to let the bed hang over the curb, but my S10 and mid sized trucks like the dodge dakota will fit in the spaces.

Reply to
Eugene

Good point, my mind is made up and I have purchased one.

I am trying to see if the reviews match real world experiences.

If anyone already has a Colorado, they can enlighten me on what to be wary of. Chevy doesn't seem to get great reviews. It is always Ford and Dodge that have better this and better that.

Reply to
Vito Cavallo

just seems like a whole lot of money for half a truck.

Reply to
Texas Aggie

Isuzu offers teh D-Max over seas, pretty much the same truck, but really stripped down for the commercial application, and it has a Diesel engine.. it would be nice if they brough this truck to the US as a low cost truck for those of us that use a truck as a truck, and not a rolling home theater for the kids. The price tag is pretty steep for the Colorado, but its a good size. for just a few bucks more, you can get a Silverado, but its so much bigger!

Reply to
Trey

True, but parking is scarce in Boston. This truck fits my needs because I carry small items.

The Silverado is very nice, just a tad big for my needs.

Reply to
Vito Cavallo

I bought one and love it. 20mpg (with A/C on) in the City, (I live in Phx).

check out this site, it'll help you with any further questions.

If I wanted a full size truck, I would have bought the Silverado. But I didn't need it. I've got a 99 'Burb K1500 to pull the boat. :-)

Reply to
Gregg Hartung

Most of the Colorados on the dealer's lot cost more than what I paid for a Silverado 4x4 long bed with 4.8 engine, heavy duty package, etc. The Colorado is for the urban wannabe crowd. "Real" truck users will opt for the full-size Silverado.

Reply to
Obbop

This is true, but what if you dont NEED a full size truck, but still need a truck bed for hauling smaller items and dont want the task of trying to park a giant beast in the little spaces at a Home Depot? I had a full size truck before, it was nice, but it was a pain to park and a pain to navigate the SoCal traffic with. I would like the utility of a small truck but with teh fuel economy of a Diesel. Darn EPA killing all our fun!

Reply to
Trey

You are correct. Its also almost the same size as the S10, comparing the specs just about every dimension is within 1" so my hope of a truck a bit bigger than the S10 died. I need something bigger but a full size can't fit in the tiny parking lots they are building now, not my only hope is that Ford will make a mid sized since GM dropped the ball there.

Reply to
Eugene

From what I see the Colorado is replacing the S10. I don't see the S10 being available in 2005 model.

Reply to
HRL

I made the mistake of buying a Dodge once, learned my lesson there, it was

1/2 Mitsubishi and I had to replace half the parts in it at least twice, I could have just built a new truck. Are the Toyotas able to be used as a truck now? I remember when they would bend in the middle after a bit of hauling.
Reply to
Eugene

The Dodge Dakota is also growing for 2005, so it will be the size of a Toyota Tundra or the old F150. I think there is a market for chevy to make a mid size truck, but it will hurt their silverado sales, so they wont do it.

Reply to
Trey

How long did you have your Dodge? Mine is a '99 and its been great. minus the 10-12 mpg I average with it. No one else makes a truck the same size as the Dakota with a V8. If Toyota put a 4.5 liter V8 in the Tacoma I would buy one in a heart beat! I am hoping the Colorado sees the inline six they put in the trail blazer or even better the V8, that would make for an awesome combo!

Reply to
Trey

I have driven school buses, a 1980 Burban and Army Deuce and Halfs.

"Real" truck users do not always need to drive the largest vehicle. Even The Terminator down sized to an H-2. He even worked with Hummer to develop this "Smaller" brother of the H1.

I'll Be Back!!!! (if I can find a parking space)

Reply to
Vito Cavallo

C'mon now, you have to admit pounding on those deuce and a halfs was big fun! And I always wanted to try driving over a Jeep with one. Actually, I did run over a Jeep, but that was with an ME88 "Draggin' Wagon".

Joe Cool from the Motor Pool - 702nd

Reply to
Jay