Colorado reliability

I am thinking about buying the Colorado pickup. Any ideas on the reliability and quality of the truck. I haven't had Chevy's in 20 years, last one was a lemon, had Hondas, Toyotas etc.
Which engine 4 or 5? I plan on 2 wheel drive with automatic xmsn.
On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 15:59:13 -0500, J wrote:

I've got a 2004 Coly, Z71 4x4, extended cab, I5, 5spd. Solid truck. 14.5K miles. around 19-20mpg in the city. AC works great in Phoenix....
I'm happy with it. Go test drive one. seems solid to me.
fyi - I believe the Hummer H3 is built on the same setup as the Colorado.
I've had my 05 Colorado, 4x4, z38 (I think, not the Z71), crewcab, automatic since January and haven't had a problem yet (right around 10,000 miles now). Also, my Dad works for a Ford dealership that also owns a Chevy one. He was talking to the service department over there and they've said they haven't seen very many of them back in for problems. As for the 4 or 5 cylinder, when I was doing my research the 5 gets better gas milage, more horsepower and more torque than the both the Chevy and the Ford 6's for the S-10 and the Ranger (got that from Vehix.com). So I'd definitely recomend the 5. Drove to Pgh PA a couple months ago from NH, averaged around 25 miles per gallon.
Enjoy Bill

Thanks for the replies. I will check the truck out my local dealer.
Be sure to check out employee prices on the internet. I just bought a 2005 Z71 Silverado. I found the exact one that I wanted and it's VIN was listed as well as all options and the emplyee discount price. I took the info to my favorite Chev Dealer and they found that exact truck, same VIN, for me. I started here at Chevrolet's web site. http://www.chevrolet.com/vehiclelocator/chevy/locatevehicle.jsp?&vModelIdBe sure to check it out! You should be able to locally (more or less) find the EXACT truck you want color and all. It is pretty big bucks so don't settle for less!! I have a friend who is a "mechanic's mechanic". He is very impressed with the 5 cyl. engine in the Colorado.

Michael is correct as far as i can tell. Found my Sierra 1500 Ext cab on line and went to the dealer...Damn there she was sitting there. As to finding exactly what you want...remember the '06's are on the lot already. The employee pricing is the most innovative way I have seen last year's stock priced and moved out. I typically buy Chevy (38 yrs of great service so far) but the local Chevy guy didn't have what I wanted/needed and when he insulted the worth of my last ride (1998 4X4 4 door Blazer) I left. Sure they have too many used vehicles on the market because of these great deals but to start telling me what is wrong with it as if they were going to keep her to sell of their used lot was too much. I know damn well they were wholesaling them to the secondary market. No dealer keeps a 7 yr old vehicle with 114k on it to sell. So now I gotta get my Bowtie Tattoo removed. Any idea how painful that is?
I looked at teh Colorado/Canyon line really long. Loved the I5 and the styling etc. What it came down to is that they were rated to tow about as much as the Blazer I had and after pulling the new camper home (3575lbs unladen) I knew I needed more engine and a larger frame to be comfortable on the highways and mountains of VT and NH where we spend our time. The Sierra towed the camper 210 miles to the coast and got just about 12 mpg. Left it for the in laws to use this week and got 19.1 on the ride home with the cruise locked at 71. I never got what the sticker said before. Very impressed. 5.3l (327 cubes ?) aluminum block @310 HP. My wife thinks the power may go to my head. What does she know anyhow.

Kerry wrote:

    Most New car Dealers only keep Used Cars they think they can move easy. If not they send them to a Dealer Auction, if the car is really bad off (wrecked, falling apart, or dead) They might still send it, or sell it to a Salvage Yard.
    New car Dealers will also go to Dealer Auctions to buy Lease Turn ins, & Repo'd cars that they know they can sell. Here in Ohio Sate Law says when a Finance company Repossesses a car, it must go to auction or Salvage Sale.
    Some Dealers also will let Empolyees of the Dealership buy older trade ins, often at cost. Charles