come on guys... engine pro info needed

I have a 400 sbc with 350 crank, I assume 6" rods etc. I am no pro when it comes to motors..SO will this engine rev decent with a set of decent
heads?... I was gonna buy 2.02/1.95 cc ??? heads or put a set of vortecs on it. Any advice would be AWESOME>

How can it have a 350 crank? A 400 has larger main bearings. Whatever, a good set of any heads will work. Whatever gives you the compression ratio you're after with your pistons.
For a decent answer, a lot depends on what you're going to do with the engine. A street engine for a pickup would be built different than an engine for a hot rod Vega or other light car.
Al

Thay make specail thick bearing inserts for this as it was a popular mod once. You sue 350 crank and rods with 400 pistons. The engine is now internally balanced so you have to shuck the 400 flexplate or flywheel and dampner too and get 350 parts for them.

I do agree here on this with AL, how you plan to use and feed it determines this. Also if you plan to burn 87 octane you are going to need to keep CR low and/or retard spark a lot too.
----------------- TheSnoMan.com
84 camaro. Hoping for 10.1 comp as I hate the ozone LOL and I am looking @ trying to get 350 hp It is a 350 crank, has flywheel and everything.. just minus the heads

You can get 350 HP or so with about a good 265 to 270 duration cam, 1.94 heads a good intake and maybe 9.5 or so to one CR and at least 89 octane too. I would kinda avoid 2.02 heads because most have soft valves and seat and will not last long with unleaded gas if you run it hard. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
k.. good advice.

What kind of sreetability are you looking for ? If you want it to be a driver car, go with a mild cam, 1.94 or 2.02 heads, but have the hard seats and new valves put in if they are older lead fuel heads. If you want it to really run, go with aftermarket heads Dart or AFR etc... Also what pistons does it have ? If you need pistons go with flattops and make your compression with the heads. Also make sure the heads are drilled for the steam holes or you'll crack the block and be done. You can run higher compression with flat tops than you can with domes when using pump gas. It all has to do with flame travel and burn. You can also make the compression with the cam. I'm running the opposite combo 350 block 400 crank .030 over 383 with Dart heads Eagle Rods and Crank, with a 320 duration cam with 292 @ .050 it's a great combo but poor mileage so ... It all depends on what you want to use it for. If totally street try to use injection TPI or TBI...
P.S. Don't forget steam holes in the heads.....

thanx.. good reading.. I am going with Vortec heads and my 350 block, I'll go flat top pistons, and a mild to medium cam.. Iwant 13.5 to 14 1/4 runs but not 5 mpg :) I know I know.. can't have one without the other but there has to be a way

Actually it is do able if you want to research a little... Build the 350 as a LT1 use LT4 heads and LT4 cam with LT4 TPI (in summit) and it will run. The LT1 in our '94 Z with LT4 heads cam and intake would put out 425 HP not bad for a daily driver that still got half decent MPG. I have a friend with the LT1 in his 93 vette getting 30 MPG on the highway and it gets up and goes pretty good. We are getting ready to do one as a project here soon, taking a 96 RS 6 cyl pulling it out dropping in a LT1-4 we will build up. Go with the 4L60 or 80 and have a car that fly's and still gets half decent mileage... might even throw on a turbo just to boost it a little more.

I am not a fan of the lt1.. I had one and when it broke it costed 3 X what a normal engine would.. I am going with a 355, dished pistons, 10-1 compression aftermarket dart heads, th400 with 3000 stall, and cam will be decided later...intake a torquer intake 750 (vacuum ) If the car doesn't run 13 -13.5 I am burning it and buying a honda civic :)

LOL I know someone with a Honda civic with almost 10,000 in the engine... it'll almost turn a mid 13... The stock z28 camaro in the 80's will run low to mid 14's with very little work they will run high 13' low 14's Also the LT1 is nothing more than a 350 same block, crank everything. You are probably thinking of LS1 With the engine you are building and good rear gears get it to hook and you should se at least low 13's or better... You could go with a 600 or 650... a 750 is way overkill for that engine... I'm running a 650 double pumper on my 383 w/Dart heads killer cam etc... Sounds like it'll be a good runner when you are done keep us updated when it's finished...

the water pump was reverse flow 1996 and nothing would interchange with my stock old school 350......unless I am thinking of a different engine

That is the later style LT1 they are a little different but still a lot of parts interchange, that is the one to use the LT4 stuff on. I didn't think it was too expensive but it is more than the good old 350... the LS1 is a totally new beast. What you are building should move that car pretty good. We are getting ready to build a 90's 350 4 bolt steel crank engine for our '96 6cyl camaro. We'll use the block and crank the rest will be new along with probably a set of Dart aluminum heads. TPI and a good cam hopefully have a quick everyday decent gas mileage car.