Convert K1500 TBI-350 to a TBI-454, can it be done?

I need some help to see if it worth the trouble to convert a 1989 Chevy K1500 to a TBI-454 engine from a TBI-350. First of all can it be done????
Questions that come to me are:
1) Can the TBI-350 ECU be tuned to the TBI-454 engine parameters or is limitation to the TBI-350 ECU that I'm not aware of? 2) How about the front torsion bar? Do they need to change out for the extra weight of the TBI-454 engine? 3) Will the 700R4 automatic transmission torque converter work with this conversion? 4) Simple stuff like exhaust/ accessory bracket, hoses should not be a problem or is it?
What else did I forget or consider with this ideal????
Thanks for any help
Byron T

Yes if you change the eprom in the ECM

Not a bad idea

It will bolt in but without beefing it up it will not last too long if you play hard. If you are doing the transplant to try to overcome tall gearing and big tires the stock tranny will not last long with a 454 hooked to it

I see no big problems here as a 454 was fit in that body style from factory in some models.

----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Not to try and contradict anyone.But you might want to take a good look at those ECMs..you may only have to change the PROM. we transplanted a 5.7 where a 5.0 came out and just did a TBI and PROM swap...I can't say for sure, but you might get lucky
If at all possible i would change the torsion bars..check and see if there are spring codes on the door tag...they might be the same, just preloaded different
On 16 May 2006 21:05:58 -0700, "redeye-racing"

While it is a possiblity, they usually use heavier "springs" as the BB weighs about 200 lbs more. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Thanks for the replies. I had a 383-Stroker in my truck for towing my trailer. For some reason, the rod bearing prematurely failed. I have no reason or finding to why the rod bearings failed. The heads, (S/R World Casting) are also junk, after hearing the news from the Head Shop. Adding up the costs for parts, I have decided to check into engine swapping. You may have read some of my past posting cornering the above problem. I thought, forget the 383 and start thinking about swapping engine. I have the tools (SW & HW) to edit the Eprom for the ECU from the days I was tuning the 383, but didn't know if there were any other major different that I may have overlooked. So, I been checking into a used TBI-454 and the cost is anywhere from $1750 to $750. What I would like to find is an engine that came out of a truck with most or all the stuff still attack to the engine. Does anyone have some good source for what I'm looking for? Thanks Byron T, Tucson AZ

Where you running a aux engine oil cooler??? It is a wise addition if you do some regular serious towing as it will lower oil temps in bearings and help prevent bearing failure up sustained heavy loads ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
SnoMan wrote:

The truck had a Radiator-type of engine oil cooler, factory stock. I have no after market oil cooler. Byron

Curious, did you plastigage the bearings when you put it together? ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
SnoMan wrote:

Sure did! I can't remeber the number but they were on the tight sode of the toloerance.
NEW Flash.... Found out today the rod's big end is out of round. Yes I did buy remanfactor rods.. They were out by .00012" Finding completed... Byron T
Opps,.... The nuber is 0.0012 not 0.00012 Byron

I figured that is what you meant. That is evnough to cause early bearing failure. So much for the reconditioned rods. I always mike them myself to check them and then "gage" them too ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com