Converting system from Dexcool?

A week ago, I posted a message regarding a pinhole in the water inlet neck that was causing antifreeze to spray out.
The part is on order, and I will replace it and complete the flush of the
coolent system early this week. Since then I have done some research about coolent system problems with newer GM autos because of Dexcool. My factory warranty is up on my 2000 S10 Blazer but I have an extended warranty for another 15k miles. I am concerned that if I continue to use Dexcool based antifreeze that my issues are going to get worse and become more costly. And GM might not cover coolent system problems under my extended warranty...
What are the ramifications of going back to the old school green antifreeze or is this even possible?
I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but I am new to this list and do not know how to search archives. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx.
-mike

been explained to me that the chemical make up is very different between "extended life" (GM, Ford, Audi, etc) and the green stuff. To switch from one to the other, you can start eating away at the inside of the radiator, engine, etc. I've also heard there is a chemical flush that can be used, not sure if that is to prevent bad things from happening when switching, or to rid the system of the gel that is bad Dexcool.
HTH Bill
I've heard that if you maintain the system properly (i.e. don't let it run low on coolant) and change the coolant ever 5 years or 50,000 miles, there are minimal problems with Dex-Cool. On the other hand, if you change over to ethylene Glycol (the green stuff) without getting all the Dex-Cool out of your system, you're in for some real problems.

You might find this article helpful: http://tinyurl.com/qtmc I replaced my '99 Yukon's Dexcool with fresh Dexcool and replaced the radiator cap per this article. I haven't driven the truck enough yet to tell if it's a good solution or not.
Spudston
.
Converting system from Dexcool? Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2003, 11:34am From: snipped-for-privacy@mlug.missouri.edu (MichaelRoberts)
A week ago, I posted a message regarding a pinhole in the water inlet neck that was causing antifreeze to spray out.
The part is on order, and I will replace it and complete the flush of the coolent system early this week. Since then I have done some research about coolent system problems with newer GM autos because of Dexcool. My factory warranty is up on my 2000 S10 Blazer but I have an extended warranty for another 15k miles. I am concerned that if I continue to use Dexcool based antifreeze that my issues are going to get worse and become more costly. And GM might not cover coolent system problems under my extended warranty... What are the ramifications of going back to the old school green antifreeze or is this even possible?
I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but I am new to this list and do not know how to search archives.
Thx. -mike ======= ======= Mike, apology acepted.
Google is yer friend......
Do a search for Dexcool, the info will keep you busy while yer parts are coming in.
yw,
marshmonster ===

Mike,
You can switch to the green stuff IF and only IF you get ALL of the old Dex out of the system. And I mean ALL of it. The two coolants do not play well together. Do yerself' a favor, drain the system, replace the rad cap with a Stant Lev'r cap, refill with fresh Dex (use DISTILLED WATER) and keep the expansion tank nice and full. Replace every 5 years regardless of mileage and you're good to go.
I haven't seen any Dex-related problems that weren't directly related to owner neglect (letting expansion tank dry out, hence letting air into the system, doing half-ass drains of the old coolant <not pulling the block drains>, bad rad caps not allowing the system to suck extra coolant into thesystem when it cools <allowing air into the system>, using tap water, mixing green stuff in with the Dex, etc.)
Doc

I guess Stant has been bought out, and they aren't called Stant anymore. I just got one of the lever caps you describe, asked for Stant and found this out. The cap I did get however, was made by the company which bought out Stant. Can't recall the name of it right now. I suppose you can still get Stant at Walmart or other places that have a stock of them, unless they've pulled them, I don't know.
Hatt
Doc, Thanks for the advice. Because I still have 15k left on my extended warranty, I am going to continue to run the Dexcool. I have read on a number of site that problems come in with the coolent level is low. I plan on being much more cognisent of the coolent level from now on. I am running Prestone radiator flush/distilled water through the system for a couple days, then I plan on refilling it with Dex and distelled water. I put in a fresh thermostat, and was considering replacing the cap, but I cleaned it up pretty good and I do not think it needs to be replaced. What is the advantage of the Stant Lev'r cap? Thx.
-mike

to change your Dexcool, it may already be a little late. I have a 99 Yukon and I just changed the Dexcool. Instead of going by the temp. reader as some do, or age or km's, I obtained some special test strips and tested it. It showed the nitrite level too low, too low to even adjust by using a conditioner, so I replaced it. The coolant only had 135,000 km. chemically it was wore out but physically it looked fine.

Stant may be boxed differently, such as Standard-Thompson. Here's the Waltham MA location.781/894-7310 Gone? Quite a current website: http://www.stant.com/default.cfm?CFID 45999&CFTOKEN740891
Have a great one!
Ramifications?
Mix the two together and it's like a battery. Here's the dope on coolant dude: http://www.imcool.com /
Bush
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:34:30 -0500, "Michael Roberts"

You might be right, I just took it from the parts counter person.
Hatt

A link taken from your link: http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?brochure#1&location_id 9
Good read, note last sentence.
Hatt