Costs to replace fuel pump - '99 Suburban

Page 2 of 2

a) 25 years ago, GM had but a few vehicles that used an electric fuel pump. b) a 1999 Chevy Suburban isn't 25 years old.

Good to know if time travel is ever perfected.

If you check around, you'll find people who don't have shorter fuel pump life that run their tanks low also.

Vortec pump current is typically 2-3 amps higher than a TBI pump. That hardly equates to "much higher."
Nine years ago I built a home made smoke machine that used an electric fuel pump as the pressure source to force the smoke out of the heat chamber into the connecting hose. The pump runs bone dry and still works fine to this day.
SnoMan wrote:

Well good for you SnoFlake. Now get a working spell checker.
The pump has been replaced and the truck is back on the road. I've always heard the same thing about not letting the tank get much below 1/4 often. Just out of habit I keep both trucks around a half or better unless on a long trip, etc. The service guy at the dealer was surprised to hear this truck had the original pump at 93K miles since they tend to die around the 50K mile mark or so. He also noted to keep the tank at 1/4 or better to help prevent issues.......
Kevin

Kevin wrote:

I sure hope they checked pin pressure on the wiring harness going to the fuel pump module. More often then not, the problem ends up being the wiring harness. Just had one in today.....99 Escalade, had three pumps put in elsewhere, turned out to be the wiring harness....one of the female pins doesn't have enough pressure and starts arcing and eventually you get no fuel pump action and often the connector on the fuel pump module melts around the affected pin.
Ian

their problem. The amps draw was low and the level sensor has been flaky and vibrating for over a year and a half now. With a lifetime warranty on parts and labor, I'm not worried about what happens with it now.
Yea, the worst thing that could happen on your part is that you get stuck in the Taco Cabana parking lot early Saturday morning and then have to cancel your barber appointment.

I have just replaced the fuel pump in my 98 K1500 for the second time in a year and a half. The first time a mechanic charged me $450 and this time I did it myself. The first was a Master and this time it is an Airtek. They both have the same product number and both are around $300, so I am thinking that they are made by the same company. Bosch's pump is about $100 more. Might have been worth the extra money. Make sure you put fuel pressure guage on the valve by the intake manifold to see if you are getting any pressure. It is supposed to be between 60 and 66 psi. I run my tank to empty often, so that could be the problem, according to everyone else.
Kevin wrote:

Looks like you got most of the testing done. There is a pin right next to the fuel pump relay thatyou can short +12V to and it will make the fuel pump run.
I went through the same set of issues; It would run for 30 seconds and then not at all for about an hour.
I was able to get under the truck and bang on the gas tank with my fists and as long as I did this, the fuel pump would not bind up and the truck would continue running.
Still had to have it towed in becasue I could not strap myself under the truck and let someone drive it in. :-) :-)
Check for a recall on it.. the wiring harness and sensor conectors. I have a 2000 and there were about 88K of them recalled. I got the labor for dropping the tank and re-wiring covered under the recall. I had to pay for the part and the actual additional labor to change the pump out.
Kevin wrote:

I have a '99 Tahoe and just replaced the fuel pump. I had the exact same thing happen to me, fuel gauge all over the place. It cost me $540 Can for the fuel Module and 3 hours labour and then of course the tax man cometh. The new fuel level sensor comes with the module. If you look at the old one, you will be able to see the tracking of the pick-ups across the different conducting bands.
northernont

Strange thing is the fuel gauge is still slamming past Full and then drops back to the correct level and has a slight vibration when running. Does the sensor "always" fix this or could the gauge really be flaky itself???? Haven't called the dealer service center yet on it.