Could a bad front wheel bearing/hub cause a clunk?

Lil Jimmy is still clunking away somewhere in the front end, likely the left front (long story, been beaten to death many times). Recently the left front
bearing/hub assembly has begun squealing again (less than a year on the new assemblies). Could a bad hub/bearing assembly cause several loud clunks after changing directions (ie. fwd to rev)? I don't see how, especially considering there isn't any unusual play in the bearing that I've noticed, but it must be toast again if it's squealing and it's the only part now known to be bad. What do you think? Obviously I have to replace it either way but I'd hate to be disappointed yet again.
'91 T-15 Jimmy, 4x4, 4.3L TBI, 700R4, dark green with red spots (rust), 240k kms.
SBlackfoot wrote:

Check your rotors closely. Take the tire and wheel off, and wipe the rotor down with laquer thinner or spray down with carb cleaner, and check for spider web stress cracking. The rotors are comparatively cheap and may need replacing. When they have the spider lines, they do strange things, cause strange noises.

Interesting idea, thanks. I'll swap the rotors left and right when I get a chance and see if the noise follows.
check your a arm bushings

Been there. ;o)
As it truns out the bearing was causing my clunk. New bearing, no clunk.