Cracked housing on 1996 Tahoe

350 v8, 1500 4x4....any ideas on what would cause the housing to crack? Cracked between pan and end of unit all the way around.

Laszlo Almasi

What, the bell housing? The tailshaft?
Tailshaft. This is on one of my employees vehicles. He needs to find the cause before replacing the unit...only to have it break again.
Laszlo Almasi

Does the crack go through the mounting bracket? I'd suspect either impact or off-roading exuberance.
It's right beside it but not through it.
Laszlo Almasi
I think it was his campstove. john