Crate engine replacement suggestions/laws?

I have a 1993 Silverado K1500 standard cab w/350 and AT and AC. The engine has been having little things get worse (leaks, bad oil pressure, etc.) and
I'm considering saving myself the hassle (and money) of having my mechanic fix all the stuff on the old engine by just going with a new one.
Has anyone done this?
I can't get any prices out of local dealerships (Phoenix, Arizona), but I've heard stories about people picking up a crate 350 from a dealership for around $1,200. Does that sound likely? I'm sure that the installation labor will add a hefty amount too. I'm just wondering if I should continue to think of this as an option, or just have the old one fixed up (or even sell the truck!). What am I looking at in estimated total cost?
Thanks, -Derek
i have a 1999Chevy Tahoe LT w/o onstar. i hear something in the rumor mill that it's already pre-wired for onstar. am i wrong? do i need ot be educated? and how can i do it if all the goods are there?
as for the funny stuff, me and mrs. were out looking for a minivan (yuck. we're not getting one) and the salesman told us the rattle from the front left wheel was because..........the fuel tank was low on gas. now, does anyone have any good stories like that? i love 'em.
ed
Some of the wires may be there but none of the other components will be there. The correct software to make these things operate will also need to be obtained

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:22:06 -0700, Derek Schwartz wrote:

Derek,
I replaced the motor in my '90 C1500 with a crate motor over the summer. I found the best price at Scogin Dickey (sp?!) in Lubbock, TX.
On a lark, my wife called a local Chevrolet dealership and they beat that price by $1. I didn't have to pay shipping, but did pay sales tax, so it was a wash. On the upside, I had the motor the next morning...:-)
Good luck!
-Steve
<snip>

Steve... just curious, what engine did you get (thinking of a crate 350 for my kid) and how much was it?
also, what parts/accessories from the old truck/engine are reused?
Mac