Creaking noise when slowing to a stop

Hello,
I have a Reg Cab/short box Sierra. It has a creaking noise in it whenever I slow to a stop on rough ground while going forward. It creaks during the
last few seconds before the completion of stopping.
It does not happen while going backwards or if I shake the truck (sideways, front and back) manually. Sometimes it creaks whiling driving over rough roads at a very slow speed. The sound is coming from the passenger side of the truck near the centre of the truck.
This only started about 6 days ago. I have tried to find the problem but can not find the source. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike C wrote:

I would lean towards a u-joint siezing up. Often, the creaking/squeaking noise at the same rotation speed as the driveshaft is a good giveaway that one of the u-joints is on it's way out.
Ian
I doubt he has a reed-type tach though. Any other ways to tell?
GMC Gremlin

GMC Gremlin wrote:

According to his post, the noise only occurs right before he stops or just as he's starting. This is usually the speed at which you will hear a rusty/siezed u-joint squeaking in time with the driveshaft rotation....which is very slow.
Not sure what you mean by "reed type tach" or how that relates to the common phenomenon of a squeaking u-joint.
Ian
reed type tach as a bunch of plastic sticks basically that are tuned to various frequencies. The vibrations in a truck will cause the corresponding reed to vibrate.
GMC Gremlin