Creaking noise when slowing to a stop

Hello,

I have a Reg Cab/short box Sierra. It has a creaking noise in it whenever I slow to a stop on rough ground while going forward. It creaks during the last few seconds before the completion of stopping.

It does not happen while going backwards or if I shake the truck (sideways, front and back) manually. Sometimes it creaks whiling driving over rough roads at a very slow speed. The sound is coming from the passenger side of the truck near the centre of the truck.

This only started about 6 days ago. I have tried to find the problem but can not find the source. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike C

I would lean towards a u-joint siezing up. Often, the creaking/squeaking noise at the same rotation speed as the driveshaft is a good giveaway that one of the u-joints is on it's way out.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I doubt he has a reed-type tach though. Any other ways to tell?

GMC Greml>

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

According to his post, the noise only occurs right before he stops or just as he's starting. This is usually the speed at which you will hear a rusty/siezed u-joint squeaking in time with the driveshaft rotation....which is very slow.

Not sure what you mean by "reed type tach" or how that relates to the common phenomenon of a squeaking u-joint.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

reed type tach as a bunch of plastic sticks basically that are tuned to various frequencies. The vibrations in a truck will cause the corresponding reed to vibrate.

GMC Greml>

Reply to
GMC Gremlin