Cruise Control Problem

Back in November, I turned on my windshield wipers one morning, they didn't come on and I assumed I had something going on with the switch. Never went any further with that line of thinking because the next time I used the vehicle, the wipers worked fine and have ever since.

On my last trip on the freeway however, for whatever reason I could not get my cruise control to work (though everything else is working fine). Guess I have to think that perhaps something is going on in that turn signal switch/harness since that's my wiper control, turn signal switch, cruise control stuff and so on...

So... Does this sound familiar to anyone? I haven't looked for a blown fuse or anything yet - thought I'd post here for any ideas since the problem seems a bit weird (either the switch or a fuse ???) TIA for any help or advice...

Chris

Reply to
cover

cover

Probably best to post this in the tech group, you'll get more help in there

------------------------------------ Mike Mangione

xblazinlv

I am faced with a similar problem, but in my case, it seems to be an intermittent alternator output. Maybe you can trace your wiring with a voltmeter. Me, I'm at my wit's end, because my circuit diagrams in my *books* do not match the circuits in my vehicle! Not for troubleshooting beyond the *replace this fuse* level.

This may not be an option for you, but I just dug out my Amprobe Pasar Current Tracer, and will detach my car battery, subtituting a 9 volt pocket battery for the transmitter power source. The transmitter (fox) puts a pulsed RF signal on the line/wire of interest, and you trace it with the hound ( receiver ).

This way, instead of going through 1100 wires in 20 different harnesses, I can follow the RF signal to where it -stops- or becomes markedly attenuated, and focus my attentions there, working =back= from the alternator to the ignition switch, through wherever the RF signal takes me.

I *think* there is an inexpensive version of this device at sears. Inexpensive as in less than the sales tax I paid for this monster. Although, over the years I've certainly recovered my cost for the

*thing.*

Get a fox and hound circuit tracer at Sears. My Amprobe kit cost IIRC near $600 at a specialty house. You can do it for maybe...$50 ?????

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

GM cruise breaks wires (4 wires) at the area where they exit the stalk and begin the routing inside the steering column. This is a common problem. It also means removing the wheel to replace (most times but not always) and to reroute to replacement stalk/wiring.

Pete

Reply to
cselby