Daytime Running Lights

Hello,
I replaced one of the DRL's in my 2001 Suburban today with a standard 3157 bulb. I've seen several Chevy/GMC trucks on the road with one of these
lights out. Since I've only owned my vehicle for a few weeks now my question is how often can I expect to change these? Should I have bought a dozen bulbs?
Thanks, Brown
I have a 2002 Silverado. Have had it since 11/01 and 40,000 miles and have changed one bulb. Bought a 2 bulb pack just in case, but haven't needed it yet.
Karl
well i have a 2000 z71, and have replaced 2. you do know that there is a clip that allows the DRL assem. to pop out like the head light does. i didnt find this out til a friend showed me, the first time i replaced it it took me 4ever trying to blub out with the assem. in place. i know keep a spare on hand just in case
its not as common as you might think but it happens they burn out but for most people it is no big deal i get maybe 2 or 3 a month in my shop states that do inspections dont even use the daytime running lights as a item for inspection so most people around here dont even care
I worked in an inspection station in PA. (Long time ago) Every light had to work. All of the factory installed lights had to work and if you installed any after market lights, they had to work, too. DRL's are probably not a required inspection item and some people have disabled them. But (!) my bet is that if you go in with just one working, you have to make them both operate or disable them. I changed mine to amber 4157 bulbs about 6 months ago and haven't had one out yet. I'm not sure why people don't care if they work or not. I like my truck and make sure that all the lights operate. It doesn't matter if its a DRL, headlight, or a taillight. I even like for my dash lights to work. I form opinions about other drivers (everyone does) - If you have a burned out bulb, that one thing. It can happen to anyone at anytime. Then add the mud, worn wipers, cracked windows, bent bumpers or dented fenders. I wonder why some guys are driving such expensive junk? .

You're right George, if you have a light on the vehicle, whether factory or aftermarket, PA laws state that they must work to pass inspection. Some states (like NC) wave a magic wand and pass your vehicle on inspection (sometimes, they don't even look at the vehcle).
lol to the NC thingy. thats where i am at, and i USE to know places that did that, BUT USE to is what got there lisc. pulled
We have places in PA that ignore the laws too but here, if it gets bad enough, you go to jail. My daughter took me with her the last time she had her van inspected in NC and the 'inspector" checked the headlights (took all of 3 minutes) and then put the sticker on. It takes about 30 minutes (or longer) to inspect a vehicle around here. There are other states that have very lax vehicle inspection laws too, it's not just NC.
Inspection here in NY is similar, lights, wipers, brakes, steering system, front suspension, seatbelts. Some places do "lick 'n stick", others do it right, usually about 5-10 mins to do it right. Emissions get checked in NY if down by the city, but upstate, where I am, I think it's just a visual...
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:33:12 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote:

here in texas the drls dont have to work one burnt bulb or two we dont inspect them
<<< most people around here dont even care
Steve,
I don't so much care about look or inspection, but from what I understand having DRL's greatly increases safety.
Brown

My '99 Z71 Sierra still has the originals, but many aren't that lucky.
Dave
My 2000 Tahoe still has the originals... now watch one of em burn out because I posted

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:21:11 GMT, "Brown Weed"

I replaced mine on my 2000 Silverado with amber bulbs (4157 NALL). these are the long life bulbs (there are also 3157 NALL long life bulbs as well), and they have performed great the last 2 years. The factory left light failed after about 9 months...

Why?? Just curious.
Dave
wrote:

3157
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:23:29 -0500, "Dave Brower"

To be different. No other real reason than that. Actually though, from a safety standpoint, the amber bulbs stand out much better than the normal white bulbs do, IMO. I also have a 2001 Suburban with the stock 3157 white bulbs and I much prefer the amber...