Daytime Running Lights

Hello,

I replaced one of the DRL's in my 2001 Suburban today with a standard 3157 bulb. I've seen several Chevy/GMC trucks on the road with one of these lights out. Since I've only owned my vehicle for a few weeks now my question is how often can I expect to change these? Should I have bought a dozen bulbs?

Thanks, Brown

Reply to
Brown Weed

I have a 2002 Silverado. Have had it since 11/01 and 40,000 miles and have changed one bulb. Bought a 2 bulb pack just in case, but haven't needed it yet.

Karl

Reply to
Silverado Owner

well i have a 2000 z71, and have replaced 2. you do know that there is a clip that allows the DRL assem. to pop out like the head light does. i didnt find this out til a friend showed me, the first time i replaced it it took me 4ever trying to blub out with the assem. in place. i know keep a spare on hand just in case

Reply to
Charles H.

its not as common as you might think but it happens they burn out but for most people it is no big deal i get maybe 2 or 3 a month in my shop states that do inspections dont even use the daytime running lights as a item for inspection so most people around here dont even care

Reply to
Steve Cook

My '99 Z71 Sierra still has the originals, but many aren't that lucky.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

My 2000 Tahoe still has the originals... now watch one of em burn out because I posted

Reply to
Wes

Reply to
George

You're right George, if you have a light on the vehicle, whether factory or aftermarket, PA laws state that they must work to pass inspection. Some states (like NC) wave a magic wand and pass your vehicle on inspection (sometimes, they don't even look at the vehcle).

Reply to
Rich B

lol to the NC thingy. thats where i am at, and i USE to know places that did that, BUT USE to is what got there lisc. pulled

Reply to
Charles H.

for most people it is no big deal i get maybe 2 or 3 a month in my shop

Reply to
Brown Weed

here in texas the drls dont have to work one burnt bulb or two we dont inspect them

Reply to
Steve Cook

We have places in PA that ignore the laws too but here, if it gets bad enough, you go to jail. My daughter took me with her the last time she had her van inspected in NC and the 'inspector" checked the headlights (took all of 3 minutes) and then put the sticker on. It takes about 30 minutes (or longer) to inspect a vehicle around here. There are other states that have very lax vehicle inspection laws too, it's not just NC.

Reply to
Rich B

Reply to
Mike Levy

I replaced mine on my 2000 Silverado with amber bulbs (4157 NALL). these are the long life bulbs (there are also 3157 NALL long life bulbs as well), and they have performed great the last 2 years. The factory left light failed after about 9 months...

Reply to
Jeff

Why?? Just curious.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

To be different. No other real reason than that. Actually though, from a safety standpoint, the amber bulbs stand out much better than the normal white bulbs do, IMO. I also have a 2001 Suburban with the stock

3157 white bulbs and I much prefer the amber...
Reply to
Jeff